Remote Desktop Mac

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by G4PPC, Jul 21, 2015.

1. G4PPC macrumors newbie

G4PPC

I found Remote Desktop for my PPC Mac, RDC Ver. 2.01 and then I went ahead and setup my windows 7 computer for Remote Desktop Connections, and am able to connect with my G4 Mac and I can control my win 7 PC remotely.

However the problem is I can't run most programs like if I try to load a game it doesn't work remotely for some unknown reason at all. I want to be able to play games remotely as well as run applications from my Mac on my windows computer, the games all work fine on my Windows Computer but don't want to work remotely is there anything I can do to get games to work remotely or is it just not possible using RDC.

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I use UltraVNC on the Windows machines here at work. Works very well with Chicken of the VNC, which is what I use on Mac.

Avoid RDC. It's crap for cross platform. Fortunately, the VNC protocol is platform independent.

PS. UltraVNC has a neat feature where you can actually specify just a window to be displayed instead of the entire screen. This was useful for us to watch Acrobat Distiller running off our server way back when instead of the entire screen with that app window open.

3. G4PPC thread starter macrumors newbie

G4PPC

Sounds great if I knew How to set up VNC it took me awhile just to get RDC running.

I downloaded both programs, but on windows UltraVNC just brings up a window that says Access Code, I put in a user name and password that I do not actually have because I don't use a password on windows or my Mac, but when I click connect it says ready to share Desktop and that is all it does I don't get it.

Then for The Chicken Of VNC it wants a server witch I enter my PC'S IP Address and it'll attempt to connect but takes so long seems like it stops responding and just says connecting but doesn't seem to connect at all, I think it is because I don't have a actual password I use Blank Passwords for all my computers I hate having to remember them for a PC.

The problem for RDC seems to be with Directx as ever game I have on windows 7 uses it even freecell complains of Directx not being found..

4. eyoungren, Jul 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2015

eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Try this…

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1932210/UltraVNC_1.0.4_Upgrade.exe

This is an older version, but I tend to put things I download for the computers here at work in a Public folder on our server so I can reuse them. If it asks for a previous install of UltraVNC let me know as I have version 1.0.1 which is the first version I ever installed.

It works on a Win2012 Server and a Win2003 SBS server. So it should work for you. The install will ask what you want to install. You want to install the server part (you can also install the viewer too if you want to use that). After the install you can set it up to install as a system service so you don't have to run the app each time you boot.

As to Chicken of the VNC. It's particular issue is that if it does not find a VNC source right away at the address you give it it tends to error out. Once you get your PC up and running it should see it at the address you give right away.

You can use blank passwords with it. Just leave the password box blank. I use a blank password for the Tiger G4 that I am running headless.

2015-07-21 12.59.30.jpg 2015-07-21 12.56.35.jpg 2015-07-21 13.00.14.jpg

5. G4PPC thread starter macrumors newbie

G4PPC

Actually like right after posting last I found the setup program for UltraVNC, set it up and am now able to connect with my Mac using The Chicken Of VNC it seems the problem was I didn't have the VNC server program loaded on windows at first like you said once it was I had no problem connecting.

I'll try the older version maybe it is faster Ultra VNC works okay but I wish you had more control over the Mouse it like has a dot that follows the actual mouse instead of taking complete control over it exclusively or maybe it's in the newest version is what I was using.

Thanks for the help with out which I probably could never figured it out. Best Regards..

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

No problem! I think there is an option in the server part (UltraVNC) to have the cursor be what it's supposed to be. It might be in COTVNC too. Can't really recall where but I know I've seen it in one of those two places.

Only other thing I'd mention is that unless you have a fast network with low latency don't expect high fidelity/instant response if you are playing games. The nature of the beast involves some delay, however minor.