Remote Desktop on LAN OK, but on Internet ?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by aerobyravol, Dec 17, 2012.

1. aerobyravol macrumors regular

aerobyravol

Hi guys,

I really tried to search within this forum for an answer but could not find one.
    That's why I'm starting a new thread, hoping it's not a doubloon.

I would like to be able to remotely access (full control) my parents' Mac (running Mountain Lion) that is not on the same Network as mine. That distant Mac is connecting to the Internet through DHCP (I've no way without paying exhaustive additional fee to have static IP address).

So, each time the router renegotiates its IP address, I'm unable to connect to the Mac that's behind.

Is there any way for that Mac to somehow regularly publish it's public IP to some server (Apple?) so that ARD can easily sort it out? :confused:

Or what else can I do to be able to access that distant Mac anytime ?

Thanks for your answer.

2. meme1255 macrumors 6502

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I use TeamViewer, which is free for personal use and works with Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, Ubuntu, iPhone, iPad, etc. It's very secure and quite simple to set up and use (no messing around with ports), which comes in handy if providing remote support to those who aren't very computer literate. You can talk them through the setup on their end and be connected to them in less than a minute. I prefer it over LogMeIn because it includes free file transfers between computers, a feature I use frequently.

4. meme1255 macrumors 6502

You forgot to say that it is even slower than VNC, at least from my experience

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

To what are you referring?

6. meme1255 macrumors 6502

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I've used it pretty much daily for years and have never had any performance issues with it. It's as fast as if I was sitting in front of the remote computer.

8. aerobyravol thread starter macrumors regular

aerobyravol

Gents,

Thank you very much.
    I'm going to test them and will post my comments back.

Once again, thanks for your time and I wish you a Merry Xmas!

:)

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There is a selection in TeamViewer to choose between optimizing quality or optimizing speed. Choose whichever suits your purposes.

10. aerobyravol thread starter macrumors regular

aerobyravol

Thank you very much!

11. meme1255 macrumors 6502

12. aerobyravol thread starter macrumors regular

aerobyravol

I tried the free service (that was exactly what I was looking for), added a host (the remote Mac I intend to control remotely) and installed on the remote machine the little "server" (the client running a deamon).

I expect the deamon to automatically update the public IP address of the machine every 15 minutes (configurable) to the server.

I made some tests: on the web page (no-ip), it's possible to set the value manually. So, I tried to set a wrong IP address. Then, waited for a long time (about 30 minutes), but the address published on the Internet (checked with the Network Utility Lookup) was still the erroneous one (as if the remote machine, that was online, did not update its address as expected).

What did I wrong?
    Any clue?

13. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

You could try dyn-dns. I've seen a few routers that report IP address changes to dyn-dns, so you won't need to have that daemon running. Even the router built into my free Westell modem supports it.