Remote desktop on macbook pro with no video

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by btree, May 26, 2010.

1. btree macrumors newbie

I have a 2007 macbook pro with a dead video card. Neither the LCD nor the external video port work. The apple store confirmed everything else works fine. I would like to use it in a server-like application, but to set it up I will need some way to get video working temporarily.

When it broke, I had ssh enabled but that's about it. I didn't install remote desktop or anything like that. Is there any way to ssh in and install/set up Remote Desktop or something equivalent? I'm used to doing X11 forwarding over ssh on linux, but I haven't found anything similar for mac.

Thanks, and let me know if I've left out any necessary info!

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i wonder if its possible to open a remote desktop connection over SSH, im fairly certain it is. you would HAVE to be able to enable VNC via SSH... surely...

3. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Assuming you can indeed ssh in AND you have admin privileges:
    Code:
    cd /private/etc
    sudo vi ScreenSharing.launchd

Enter enabled and save (type :w)

Your computer should show up in the Shared section of Finder, or you can VNC in at "vnc://<ip address>"

Edit: Just realized, you don't say what version of OS X you're running. My info above is for Snow Leopard. For Leopard you create a file called com.apple.ScreenSharing.launchd containing enabled in /Library/Preferences.

4. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Uhh, Apple knows its a dead 8600 and they aren't fixing it? Uhh ohh.

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

thats a good point!