Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

s2mcpaul

macrumors member
Original poster
May 14, 2006
Maybe new idea maybe not. I thought some of the more technical might elaborate:

I'm running leopard and I'm assuming everyone is familiar with the problems using remote desktop (to xp home ed. from osx.)

I have installed on the xp machine "microsoft virtual pc/machine." On the "virtual machine" I have "Windows 7 beta." Mac connects fine via remote desktop to "windows 7."

There must be a way to directly access XP via windows 7's 'services' however bypassing the use of virtual machine.

that is, using mac remote desktop direct to xp. The intention is to avoid the memory drain of running two operating systems as well as virtual PC.

The Flashing Fi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007
XP Home has that feature stripped out. XP Professional has the feature. You won't get anything from Microsoft that will add that feature. I'm sure there's a 3rd party program that uses their own proprietary setup to do remote desktop, but I doubt it will be free.

s2mcpaul

macrumors member
Original poster
May 14, 2006
yeah thats what everyone says who hasn't looked into the matter. There are ways.

toolbox

macrumors 68020
Oct 6, 2007
Australia (WA)
hmm not for me, unless you want to watch a movie... then thats hopeless. i do have gigabit ethernet setup though.. that would help

Are you locally connecting via VNC or over the internet? I spose it also depends on the connection speed at the other end.

toolbox

macrumors 68020
Oct 6, 2007
Australia (WA)
I'm not sure I follow you... maybe you're being overly 1337 about this. Windows 7's services aren't available to you when you aren't running Win7, even if they are installed somewhere on the computer.

If you really want to do this, I'm not following what is wrong with the techniques that have been posted on the web to enable terminal services in XP Home? This gives you your remote desktop connectivity.

Wow that was a good read. Cheers for that. Problem solve for me then !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.