Remote desktop PC from Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by alousse, Sep 4, 2012.

1. alousse macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

It's been a few hours now that I try to remote desktop my windows 7 PC from my macbook pro but I just can't find a way to make it work.

First of all, let me explain what I want to do. I bought this computer (1.86ghz core 2 duo, 2gb ram) to connect my hard drives to it so I can use them with the apple TV. The thing is that I want to hide this computer in the house so I want to be able to control it via my mac.

First of all I tried Windows remote desktop for Mac but even with the help and tutorials I can't get it to connect to the PC.

Then I saw something with Ultra VNC but it also didn't work.

What else can I tell you: My windows 7 pc doesn'T see the macbook pro in the network eventhough they are on the same network.

The remote desktop connection is on and it's not a firewall thing.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thank you in advance

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I use TeamViewer, which is free for personal use and works with Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, Ubuntu, iPhone, iPad, etc. It's very secure and quite simple to set up and use (no messing around with ports), which comes in handy if providing remote support to those who aren't very computer literate. You can talk them through the setup on their end and be connected to them in less than a minute. I prefer it over LogMeIn because it includes free file transfers between computers, a feature I use frequently.

3. alousse thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for you answer.

Does file transfer goes through your network or it uses internet (upload&download)

If I want to transfer a movie I bought and it's 3gb. Will it upload 3GB from my mac and download 3GB from my PC?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Can TeamViewer be used within a local network (LAN) only?

5. alousse thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you it works perfectly. I even tried disconnecting the internet cable and it kept working so it confirms that I was on the network.

Now all I need to do is find a way to block internet on my PC and everything will be ready.

Thank you again for you help

6. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Just install a very restrictive firewall.

I don't get why you don't just put some FreeNAS or any NAS drive OS on it. Or just some Airplay capable server. You don't need to control the PC ever. Only switch it on.

As I understand it you effectively are trying to use that PC as a NAS drive.

7. alousse thread starter macrumors newbie

That would be a good idea but to get all my movies in the apple TV I believe iTunes have to be open with the "home sharing" activated.

Is there another way to see my movies and tv shows in iTunes with a NAS os or something like that.

Here is what I want:
    -Acces movies and music via homesharing with Iphones and apple tv2
    -Stream music in the house(using Remote app) through apple tv2 and Airport express
    -Having my laptop with me while I stream(normally it's attached to the hard drives so I can't use it while watching a movie)

Hope this helps