Remote Desktop Performance

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by waterfall, Jul 30, 2012.

1. waterfall macrumors newbie

Hello,

I am looking into purchasing my first Mac (technically second, had a LC in college). I am wondering how Remote Desktop will perform for connecting into my Windows at work.

I plan on using the 1900 x 1200 resolution, and wondering if there are any issues on doing so that I need to be aware of regarding DPI or anything else. My graphics card on the work computer supports that resolution as I currently do so without any problems with a Windows to Windows connection.

Thanks!

2. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Unless you have that rMBP or the iMac 27 you'd have a bit of scrolling to see the entire Windows screen.

Cheers,

3. waterfall thread starter macrumors newbie

yes, i plan on purchasing the macbook pro retina.

4. waterfall thread starter macrumors newbie

Wanted to post a followup on this.

I bought the Macbook Retina, but am having issues with Remote Desktop.

I tried Jump Desktop to connect via RDP, Windows return the resolution as 2880 x 1800 but Jump Desktop is currently unable to scale it to the resolution I am using the Macbook at (1900 x 1200 or 1440 x 900). So everything is incredibly small.

If I set it up so Windows return a smaller resolution, then it looks blurred and not sharp because I guess Jump Desktop is zooming in to get it to fit 2800 x 1800.

I have a support ticket open with Jump Desktop, but wondering if anyone has has any success with remote desktop?

Thanks.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I use TeamViewer, which is free for personal use and works with Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, Ubuntu, iPhone, iPad, etc. It's very secure and quite simple to set up and use (no messing around with ports), which comes in handy if providing remote support to those who aren't very computer literate. You can talk them through the setup on their end and be connected to them in less than a minute. I prefer it over LogMeIn because it includes free file transfers between computers, a feature I use frequently.

6. serrada macrumors newbie

7. Pyromonkey83 macrumors 6502

both GGJ and Serrada have great ideas. I personally use Teamviewer for access on both my iPhone and iPad and it works awesomely. However, when I am at home on my 27" iMac I use the Microsoft Remote Desktop Client that comes free with Microsoft Office for Mac.

Those two are the best options, as the rest use 3rd party plugins that often don't work correctly. The Microsoft RDP client automatically scales it to whatever resolution you want, and you can also set manual resolutions if they don't work for you.