Remote Desktop Question.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MeanieYL, Jun 18, 2009.

1. MeanieYL macrumors newbie

I am a High School Teacher, have 24 i mac computers (silver purchased 2008)
    I "watch" all my students with Remote desktop. All Mac.
    My big question is this - is there a way to temporarily disable to www. for the day if they are off task? Or shut down the use of internet for all the students for the day?

-Melanie

2. sdsvtdriver macrumors 65816

Yes, but that would depend on the infrastructure of the room. If it is wired, you can unplug the line to the 'outside world'.

Wireless, you can change the access point to restrict access.

3. MeanieYL thread starter macrumors newbie

Remote desktop

Thanks for the response.

I am ethernet throughout the room. And to get to the hub to unplug the internet for the day I have to go down the hall, unlock a room, unlock the box where two computer labs feed into, and I can not do that. Another teacher was showing me deep freeze, a really cool PC program like remote desktop and she can disable the internet on individual computers, she can disable programs. There was an icon on her desktop just for that. I was really impressed, I find it hard to believe remote desktop is so far behind this PC application! All I seem to be able to do is turn off computers, lock computers. send messages, basic stuff. Maybe it is not the best for a classroom setting???:(

-Melanie

4. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Remote Desktop is meant to be for viewing your desktop from a remote location- Hence it's name.

My teachers use a program called Synchroneyes I think. Or something like that. I don't know if it's for Mac since our whole county is PCs.

5. MeanieYL thread starter macrumors newbie

Remote desktop

Looking for someone who knows something about remote desktop.

6. ElectroGhandi macrumors regular

ElectroGhandi

There are several methods for remotely controlling computers, such as a VNC or LogMeIn. Are these computers/students not in the same room as you? If not, why not just walk over the student and tell him to get off the computer?

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

8. MeanieYL thread starter macrumors newbie

Remote desktop

I love my job - the only thing I don't like is being a nag. Through technology I hope to find a way NOT to be a nag. Then I can concentrate on the pleasant part of my job!
    I can not use parental controls (VERY familiar with it) because my class gives a fine art credit which means they have to do a lot of in depth research using the web.

Can you tell me about VNC? The students are in the same room with me.

9. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Then tell them off.

From when I was at school I would respect the teachers who actually told off pupils who had behaved badly rather than tip-toeing around this issue.

10. MeanieYL thread starter macrumors newbie

Tell them off?

With many teachers losing their jobs, those of us who survived the layoffs and are popular with the students (make it fun, pleasant, positive)
    don't see it that way.
    I am in vocational ed, and there is a lot of competition for students (wood shop. automotive repair, culinary arts, agriculture, JOTRC) all fighting to keep their numbers up. You can be a tough teacher but that could fall into the cut off your nose to spite your face category! I have a commercial on youtube, That works for me!
    Buena Park High School +visual communications.

11. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

That translates to:

Yell at them.

Like seriously, if they're doing something they're not supposed to, get your mean face on and yell at them.

Can you not boot into Windows and use a Windows program for monitoring them? I know a ton of Windows programs, just no Mac ones as my school is Windows only.

12. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

When the pupil does something wrong you tell them to behave. If they don't you send them out of the classroom or to the headteacher or whatever your schools behaviour policy is...

The teachers who tell off the pupils get them to behave better, so the pupils work harder, so they are more likely to get promotions.

At least that's the position in the UK - I can't believe it is different in any other country with sane educational policies.

13. ElectroGhandi macrumors regular

ElectroGhandi

14. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Its worth mentioning that I was never one of the naughty kids - I did well at school and now I have a 1st at University in Mathematics.

If you do that you will lose the respect of the students as they will know you don't have the guts to tell them off directly.

15. ElectroGhandi macrumors regular

ElectroGhandi

Yeah, I agree with the other people. You need to assert yourself in that environment. I don't know how seasoned of a teacher you are, but this past year, we had an HTML teacher, and it was his first year teaching. He was very passive and let us run wild. In fact, our class got so out of control, he got overwhelmed and quit.

As much as you'd like the think the students like you better when you are nice and passive, you'd be better off holding the reins a little tighter.

16. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

He's right. I had a teacher once that used these programs. She was the nicest teacher ever and wouldn't hurt anybody. Everybody took advantage of her because they all thought she wouldn't do anything.

17. ElectroGhandi macrumors regular

ElectroGhandi

I think the best way to approach it is with the demeanor of "I can be friendly but I'm not one to be dicked around with."

18. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Definitely, and you don't need VNC to do that.

19. MeanieYL thread starter macrumors newbie

Very good advise. I think teaching is awesome but you quickly learn that classroom management is the real challenge!
    Thanks for the wise words, but back to remote desktop.
    I am hoping someone will address my original question!
    What can I expect the program to do??
    -Melanie

from ElectroGhandi... If you and your students' computers are on the same network, you can use a program called "Chicken of the VNC" to remotely control their computers. Basically, you enable the remote feature on all of their computers, then put Chicken of the VNC on your computer. When you run it, check off "Use Bonjour" under the "Chick of the VNC" menu. Then all of your students' computers will populate the list and you can remotely control it.

This looks like the best answer I have gotten. Are you saying abandon remote desktop, or does this work with it? We are on the same network.

-Melanie

20. ElectroGhandi macrumors regular

ElectroGhandi

I actually don't know what Remote Desktop is. Using Chicken Of The VNC basically opens a window on your computer that contains the screen of the controlled computer, and you can move your mouse inside that window and it moves the mouse on that computer, etc. I'm guessing Remote Desktop works the same, but it just allows viewing and not control?

21. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Remote Desktop Connection (EDIT: The Microsoft product for Windows) allows full remote control of a machine - but the user is thrown off so only you have control usually...

22. akgf macrumors newbie

Suggestion.

Melanie i would suggest you install a program that would act as a proxy server to give you better access of the internet and what site the kids visit. i dont currently have a specific suggestion for you but if you research it it will give you what you want.

I also wanted to ask what is the name of the program that your friend/teacher is using for pc that gives him the features that you r looking for?