Remote desktop question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by oz1, Nov 8, 2009.

1. oz1 macrumors member

I am trying to log into a remote WIN XP machine from a Mac Pro running Snow Leopard.

I can log in using the ip address of the remote machine but not using the name of the remote machine. Is there a way to do this?

2. Wheaty macrumors regular

Wheaty

If the remote machine is not on a network that you are logged onto already then I dont think so.. the IP is the correct way of finding it.

Is the machine at another location, or on the same network in the same building?

Rather than faf around with this I have taken to using logmein.com There is a free version for home use which I find very handy for logging into my dads PC 130miles away. You do need to get a snipet of software downloaded onto it first though.

There is also Hamatchi, which is a little different but essentially sets up the network protocols for you. A bit like ICQ, or Messenger for the linking.

Personally I use these, because I dont trust the XP security and having worked in a few IT companies (I'm not IT I was installing electrical stuff) quite alot of them used Logmein's services as a trusted remote access.

Hopefully this will help a little... Or more Mac - XP knowledgeable people will give you the proper spiel.

Wheaty

3. oz1 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks Wheaty. Machines are at the same location & logged on to a network

4. Wheaty macrumors regular

Wheaty

In which case I think its just a case of making sure the settings are correct for each machine... and using WINS.

If you can access via IP then you you must have the correct subnet etc.
    Go into system preferences> Network > ADVANCED

From here you can check through more of the settings, in particular WINS where you will need to set up the workgroup name the same on each machine.

But.. Before you get bogged down with what I have said... Visit the Apple Website, I'm sure there is a tutorial on there about linking OSX & XP over a network. Or it might be on Macrumors... try the guides..

Wheaty

Attached Files:

5. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

When Im home i connect thru network name, but once I'm outside my house I have to connect with IP.
    Be sure to setup your router to redirect the ports to the WinXP machine.

Look here for more info:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/northrup_03may16.mspx

edit: bah, I didn't read the first post too good, i thought you had problems logging on with IP and not name, thus thought it was a portforwarding issue :D