Remote Desktop Questions

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MrM, Dec 20, 2008.

1. MrM macrumors 6502

Hello, my sister is lucky enough to be given the gift of a new MacBook for her birthday. (I swear she destroys everything she is given, but that's besides the point)

I've been a mac user since birth, and she is trusting me with helping her in times of need while she is away in college. I have currently set up both of our computers with Remote Desktop, and have succeeded in doing a local network take-over of her computer. I am able to control it, install programs, and what ever else I might need to do.

Heres the question. When she goes away to college, we wont be in a local network anymore. What will I need to do to continue to assist her if she needs me to work on her computer via R.D. when she is away?

2. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

You can use screensharing in ichat to help your sister.

3. MrM thread starter macrumors 6502

I suggested that to her, but she doesn't use any instant messaging services/want to start. Remote Desktop is what was chosen because she doesn't have to do anything besides turn on her computer. This also gives me an excuse to screw around with Remote Desktop and its features.

4. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

It should work the same as it did before unless there are some ports blocked in between. There is screen sharing in Sys Prefs > Sharing.

5. forgottensoft macrumors regular

Try this-
    Get her IP Address (whatismyip.com)
    Go to File>Add by Address
    Add the IP Address and her credentials.

Not sure if it will work, but ARD is not meant for non-local computers

6. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

Also keeping in mind that her IP will likely change periodically if she's set up to use DHCP, which is very common.