Remote Desktop Server equiv for OSX Snow Leopard?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rosschang, Dec 15, 2010.

1. rosschang, Dec 15, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2010

rosschang macrumors member

Hi GuynGals,
    Just had my 3 yrs old Mac Mini decomission and set aside in the living hall as a media server recently. While I use the mini primary to watch movies, in which it does great with XBMC, I would like to have the ability to Remote Login (GUI) into the mini WHILE my wife is watching her fav movie CONCURRENTLY without any disturbance.

I guess this a old topic i'm revisiting here. I've been googling around and searching this forum, but yet till now, the closest solution I've came to is having OSXvnc (Vine Server) running along with fast using switching, plus some VNC client etc.

The worst part of this approach is, each remote user have to log into the physical machine for fast user switching. This is just soooo dodgy as compare to the windoze variant.

I'm posting to see, if anyone have a better solution that:
    1. each remote user dun have to physically login first
    2. I can have concurrent session running (either remote, or local-wife watching movie)

Does the Mac OSX SL Server have something to offer to this problem? And also, I've discovered that The Apple Remote Desktop is more for a network administrator sort of app, totally not related to allowing multiple concurent remote GUI Sessions.

Would greately appreciate if anyone could shed some light? a torch? a candel? :)

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

OK. It is a trivial task for multiple users to simultaneously login a Mac. Just do it. So you have logged in. Now what?

3. rosschang thread starter macrumors member

Manage torrents, web apps testing, backing up MySQL db etc etc... my list is endless...

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

OK. So you want to use the Mac remotely. Out of the box, MacOS X does not display its GUI on other computers. You will need to access the remote host via a MacOS X-compatible VPN. You may also use generic Unix software and X11.

That said, it appears that you are going all around Job's barn to do something remotely that is simpler from the computer in front of you.

5. rosschang thread starter macrumors member

Yes it does out of the box. it's call Screen sharing. Only problem with this is when my wife is watching a show with the mini, I can't do anything at all without disturbing the movie... :(

Thus I need a Remote GUI Terminal that starts a separate session, rather than connecting to the existing.

This is a statement base on your assumption. In my case, me studyroom is on the 3rd floor with my main workstation and my living hall is on the 1st floor with the mini stash right next to zee TeeVee...

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

No, that is a statement based on your description. You may have your reasons for doing what you want to do, but that does not make it easy and it most certainly does not make it a good idea.

A Mac mini is small and lightweight. It is much easier to move the computer than to do what you are trying to do.

7. Baron58 macrumors 6502

rosschang -

Please ignore all the ignorant people who don't understand what a 'thin client' terminal server is, or it's value.

Here's the answer to your question. No, it's not out-of-the-box from Apple, and it's not really endorsed by Apple, but it's the direct answer to what you asked: http://www.aquaconnect.net/

8. rosschang thread starter macrumors member

Don't think i've mention the distance between the two machines thus "Statement base on your description" is invalid. Still your assumption.

Yes of course I have my reason and whether if it's a good idea is out of scope in this thread.

I would appreciate if you have any ideas to contribute, else you could just ignore this thread.

9. rosschang thread starter macrumors member

Looks like an option... thanks bro...

10. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

You may want to have a look at Vine Server & Vine Viewer. I'm pretty sure that you can access "your" account on the remote server without disturbing anyone physically using the remote server, as in the example you've given; the VNC server is free and should be able to be accessed by any remote VNC client like Chicken of the VNC, although obviously they recommend their own Vine Viewer, which I have used and works well.