Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wattsin

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 28, 2005
I just bought a new mini and want to just remote desktop into my PC (which is used sometimes by my wife)

Ive tried microsofts remote desktop and VNC but both either log her out or control her screen. I would like to just be loged in the same time as her.

Is this possible?

if not what abut draging and droping files... they don't support that either...

Whats the best option out there?

Thanks

Derek

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
wattsin said:
Is this possible?

No. Becasue what you're asking to do is basically open an application from the Windows box on your Mac. No can do. Windows applications don't work on Macs. So you're stuck with using an VNC-type application.

If you just want files from the PC, you should be looking at file sharing, not GUI controls. In that case, search on here for windows file sharing, you'll find plenty of info on it.

wattsin

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 28, 2005
im not a dumbass, i know windows applications do not work on mac's! lol

Ive been using macs for over 15 years.

I want to drag and drop files from a windows screen sharing session over to the mac...

And loging into a windows machine while a user is using it. I know it's possible with terminal server but is their another option. Terminal services is very expensive and it still dosen't allow the sending of files.

Derek

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
As far as I know, Windows does not support multi-sessions. That only OS to do that (again, AFAIK) is an UNIX OS that uses X11 as it's primary window server. KDE might support drag & drop to a mounted disk, I'm not sure. But between Macs and PCs, you have limited options. Timbuktu will support drag & drop file sharing, but you cannot multi-session. Either you are controling the PC or your wife is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.