Remote Desktop software - faster than VNC!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Simon R., Jan 28, 2010.

1. Simon R. macrumors 6502

Anyone who knows of a solution to cross platform remote desktop management, that uses the RDP protocol or something else faster than VNC? Currently I use Vine on Mac to remote control PC's running RealVNC, but it is pretty sluggish and I wish I could get something smoother. There is Windows Remote Desktop software but it only has a client for Mac, not a server. Then there is Apple's Remote Desktop which only seems to work on Macs... Any ideas?

Simon

2. LtRammstein macrumors 6502a

LtRammstein

There's an awesome webbased VNC called LogMeIn (www.logmein.com). It's free and it's pretty responsive. Just have to make sure that you install the software on the PC.

If you buy some of their upgraded products you can transfer files between the two.

Another option with viewing a PC on a Mac is Microsoft's Remote Desktop application for Mac. It's free and uses the RDP.

3. elfxmilhouse macrumors 6502

i really like logmein
    the free version is perfect if you just need to do remote desktop. it works very well over the internet.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I use TeamViewer. Very simple to install and use. Works with Macs or PCs. File transfers, reboots, presentations, etc. are all built-in. And it's free.

5. robj macrumors regular

LogMeIn is cool, but if you are a bit of paranoid about security, you don't want to rely on a third party the security of your system.

I think there is another alternative to connect from a Windows Machine to a OSX one, but I cannot remember the name, I'll try to find it.

6. Kimbie macrumors regular

Kimbie

We use LANDesk in work, and we have the clients installed on both our PCs and our Macs works fine.

I do not know if there is a management bit for mac though

Kimbie