Remote Desktop Suggestions

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Tobster3, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Tobster3 macrumors 6502

Hi,

I have searched and read a number of the threads relating to Remote Desktop apps.

I originally downloaded Teamviewer but I didn’t like as I had to start up Teamviewer on my iMac to be able to remote in which for me sort of defeats the point.

I then downloaded JumpDesktop but to enable me to have complete remote access (when I am not on the same WiFi network) I had to download DynDNS Update Client and it was just a pain in the ass for me to set up as when it came to configure my router, I couldn’t get it to work.

SO, to avoid spending more money on Remote Desktop App's, I am looking for someone to recommend an Remote Desktop App that can do the following:-

1) Work with my iMac remoting in from my iPad.
    2) Enable me to remote in when I am thousands of miles away.
    3) Automatically starts up when my iMac is switched on so I don’t have to enable it. It doesn’t need to work when my iMac is in sleep mode or off as I can obviously schedule my iMac when to switch on and off.
    4) Has a user friendly set up for someone who isn’t that knowledgeable on setting up these kinds of items
    5) Is very user friendly.

I have read the threads on here but haven't been able to identify which app would work best to cover my requirements.

I am not too concerned on the price.

Thanks for any suggestions

Stuart

2. LPZ macrumors 65816

Have you tried the Screen Sharing (server and client) that is built-in to OS X?

You would enable Screen Sharing on your iMac (the server) and then connect with a VNC client. If the machine that is connecting to your iMac is running a recent version of OS X them it should have a Screen Sharing app (client) in /System/Library/CoreServices.

Works fine for me.

3. LPZ macrumors 65816

If you search his post with MRoogle, you'll find mention of TeamViewer. :)

4. Tobster3 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks , but as you can see from my original post, I have already tried Teamviewer.

5. 87vert macrumors 6502

87vert

6. LPZ macrumors 65816

Well, I need to improve my reading. Missed "iPad" in the original post. Maybe look at this.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I sometimes miss things when reading lengthy posts.
    Apparently, I'm not the only one! :)
    You can set up TeamViewer to launch whenever your iMac is booted. How does this "defeat the point?"

8. Tobster3 thread starter macrumors 6502

I can't get Teamviewer to launch when my iMac is booted. Most likely I am doing it wrong. Can you give some tips to ensure I have set it up correctly?

Thanks

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Very simple!

Method 1:
    Launch TeamViewer, then right-click on the icon on the Dock and select "Open at Login"
    ScreenCap 5.PNG
    Method 2:
    System Preferences > Accounts > your account > Login Items
    Click the + at the bottom and browse to locate TeamViewer.
    Check the box if you want it to open hidden.
    ScreenCap 4.PNG

10. Tobster3 thread starter macrumors 6502

Installed iTeleport.

Easy to Install and first indications show that all is working well and as I need.

Thanks all for your suggestions.