Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

direwolf5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2007
Hi all.

I know this is possible, but can't seem to find a quick walk through of what I need on both the iMac side, and then what's the best client for the iPad.

Logmein appears to be a solution, but it's on the expensive end. I purchase logmein for the iPad and then there is a free client that runs on the computer you want to connect to right?

I'd like to get a remote desktop to my home computer not only on my home network, but also when on the road.

Thanks.

kdesign7

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2010
earth, for now.
Snow Leopard comes with a VNC feature built in.

Go to > System Preferences > Security > Sharing - Go to Screen Sharing, and then use those options to set it up. Click on Computer Settings and check "Anyone may request permission to control screen" and also check "VNC viewers may control screen with password" - enter yourself a password that you can remember.

Now, you can use a VNC viewer to access your computer over the web. (You can use your INTERNAL IP or your EXTERNAL IP. Your External will ONLY work if you are connecting through a different connection. If you are on your OWN connection, your INTERNAL IP will work)
*You may need to do some Port Forwarding, or DMZ your router*

I've set this up on my 27-inch iMac, and I connect thru a VNC Viewer for my iPod Touch - I use Jaadu VNC, and it works amazingly well.

Not sure if this answers your question or not, but thought I'd share.

itsvdiddy

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2008
I've been looking into this also. I've been using Logmein for a long time, but have been investigating Team Viewer cause it's been getting great reviews (overall).

I'll let you know how they go. Teamviewer is free for iPad + Desktop to try out.

direwolf5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2007
Perfect, thanks. Just enabled screen sharing, and now I can test with any VNC viewer for the ipad.

I understand the remote network access may take a bit more setup...

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Mar 25, 2010
I have LogmeIn and it works great. Not sure about the others...I dont see how it would be better.

kdesign7

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2010
earth, for now.
Perfect, thanks. Just enabled screen sharing, and now I can test with any VNC viewer for the ipad.

I understand the remote network access may take a bit more setup...

It can be complicating, but you just need to wrap your head around what you need to do.

For Example.

I have a wireless router. I have a base computer directly connected thru an ethernet cable, and I also have 2 laptops connected via wifi. Now, connecting my iPod touch would make 4 devices connected in total, with each device receiving it's own INTERNAL IP address.

Basically when your trying to VNC to your HOME EXTERNAL IP address, your router is thinking - "Ok, I have 4 devices connected here, which one do you want" then it stops there and doesn't work. When you do port forwarding your telling your router than when your trying to VNC your home connection to send the incoming request to 192.xxx.xxx.xx, which should be the internal ip address of your desktop that you want to control.

Make sense?
:)

direwolf5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2007
Makes perfect sense actually. :) I set something up similar 6 or 7 years ago, but my setup was completely different (windows, different router, etc).

Is there an inexpensive client to run on the mac that would solve some of these port forwarding issues, or at least to make it less complex?

PlayHard

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2010
Raleigh, NC
I have LogmeIn and it works great. Not sure about the others...I dont see how it would be better.

With LogMeIn do you have to pay a subscription in addition to the price of the app? My friend confused me and said you do but he doesn't actually have it and may not know what he's talking about.

kdesign7

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2010
earth, for now.
Makes perfect sense actually. :) I set something up similar 6 or 7 years ago, but my setup was completely different (windows, different router, etc).

Is there an inexpensive client to run on the mac that would solve some of these port forwarding issues, or at least to make it less complex?

Ummm, I did find a few apps out that that would do this - I can't recall the name of the application right off the top of my head, but what it does it.. it has a built in data base of 1000's of router brands and models, and it has all of the presets stored within the app, so basically a few clicks later after choosing your router, it would go ahead and apply all of the settings. I can't really say how WELL it works/ed because I only downloaded a Trial of the Application.

At that time, I was very new to the whole idea of VNC'ing... and I didn't get anywhere because my router (siemens) was old and not in the list, which was surprising since it had 1000's to choose from.

If you know how to access your router settings by going to your Internet Browsers and typing "http://192.168.2.1" Or whatever your router address is. Once you logged in, you may need your user name and password (by default in most cases its admin - admin) - then you can see all of your connected devices, which you will need to know.

Then you can manage your connections, and there should be a spot called PORT FORWARDING/DMZ router.

- I wouldn't mind, but if you needed more assistance, I could help the best I could. I'd need a few screen captures of the Router settings (the Browser where you typed in your IP and logged in), then I'd be able to lead you where to click and such. Just offering, but I can understand this might be a bit complicating for some users.

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Mar 25, 2010
With LogMeIn do you have to pay a subscription in addition to the price of the app? My friend confused me and said you do but he doesn't actually have it and may not know what he's talking about.

No, no subscription, at least not when using it on a Mac. I think there may be a paid version for Windows, but even that could be a one time fee.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.