Remote Desktop??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ~J~, Oct 5, 2007.

1. ~J~ macrumors 6502

Ok, so since I now have 2 macs on my home network, I looked into Apple's remote desktop... only far enough to realize that its $300/administrator. Since this is a home network, I dont *feel* like spending $300 on a piece of software... are there any other options? I would like to be able to do more than just move files around on my network.

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

3. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

It's all you'll really need. ARD is 98% what you don't need.

4. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

Definitely go with VNC. The only real downside to VNC in my experience is somewhat questionable security, but since you're running it on your local network and not opening your computer to outside connections, it'll be perfect (and totally free). FYI, there are lots of VNC servers and clients. I've used OS X VNC personally, but plenty of people swear by Chicken of the VNC.

5. SuperCompu2 macrumors 6502a

SuperCompu2

I, too, can swear by Chicken of the VNC. It's really handy if you use multiple computers with IM clients to check your messages on the other units. I also have used it to freak out my mom, when she walked into the room I started typing messages in the word processor while playing around with iTunes on my PowerMac, all from the comfort of the basement couch with my PowerBook.:D

6. ~J~ thread starter macrumors 6502

LOL... I love that... did that as a network admin to a few people... newbies!