Remote Desktop

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by DownSetDana, Mar 6, 2008.

1. DownSetDana macrumors newbie

I'm looking for an option where I can send someone a small program that doesn't install anything on to their computer, but allows me to take control of it. I know it sounds like a trojan, but I plan on starting my own IT Business, and well, I want to have the option of remote desktop. I know there is LogMeIn Rescue, but I was wondering if there is like an open source thing that is out there..:confused:

2. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

I think something like this comes with Leopard.

They do that at my school, its VERY ANNOYING!

3. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

You could use the new screen sharing feature in iChat, or just have them turn on Remote Desktop service in the System preferences and use Leopard's built in screen sharing if you're on a local network

4. matperk macrumors 6502

If you're looking for a windows option, you can use the remote desktop invitation thing that is built into Windows. Unfortunately, there are a lot of firewall issues with that. As you'd have to have the correct ports forwarded, and walk them through creating an invite. I don't know how much IT Rescue is, but in all honesty, if you want easy of use for your end users it really is the only option. If you have this service and it's easy for the end user, that's really your goal when starting a business like that.

I also dk if they have a mac version -- I haven't checked recently. But like AliensAreFuzzy said, you could use iChat. However they have to have leopard for that to work, and if they don't, you'll have to use remote desktop, and you'll still run into firewall issues.

5. danny_w macrumors 601

I think the only version of LogMeIn for Macs right now is the free version. I tried it and it is painfully slow (but so is BTMM screen sharing/VNC).