Remote Disc for MacBook Pro (dead DVD drive)?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tom Baker, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Tom Baker macrumors newbie

Hi there,

This is my first post on MacRumors but I'm by no means new to Macs. However, I haven't been able to find a solution to my rather difficult problem!

I've got a first-generation (Rev. C) MacBook Pro whose DVD drive has conked out. Upon inserting any discs they will be ejected automatically after about 2-3 seconds.

About every 20 tries of this, the CD/DVD will be stuck in the tray until the computer spits it out about 30 minutes later.

Anyway - I will be needing to install Windows via Boot Camp for school, and not to mention various DVD-only pieces of software (like iLife '09!) and I won't be able to do that!

Is there any solution to this? My first thought was a MacBook Air-style "Remote Disc" arrangement. I have a C2D iMac also, and an 802.11g network, so I assumed this would work?

Cheers

Tom Baker

2. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

You cannot install Windows XP via Bootcamp over Remote Disc as you need an operating system already there to work with the remote drive technology.

What I will suggest is you buy a USB to IDE/SATA adapater + Optical Drive (This will cost you like $40 max altogether and work fine). Alternatively purchase an External USB Optical Drive (A single Unit, which will cost more but also work fine).

Good luck!

3. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

To enable remote-disc, open terminal and

defaults write com.apple.NetworkBrowser EnableODiskBrowsing -bool true
    defaults write com.apple.NetworkBrowser ODSSupported -bool true

then reboot. You should see the remote disc in finder now.

But it will not work for bootcamp. You are SOL there; even on the MBA, you have to use an external drive.

4. Tom Baker thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all your help - exactly what I wanted to hear.

I'll be investing in an external drive this week.

--Tom