Remote Disc Problem, Please Help !

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by LevMac, Feb 23, 2008.

1. LevMac macrumors 6502

LevMac

Hey MacRumors, I have been a reader of the forums for quite some time now and am proud to be a new owner of my very first mac - Macbook Air :)

My problem that im having is that I have installed Disc 1 onto my Toshiba Laptop to enable Remote Disc sharing and I have followed the exact instructions as per Apple Support website and im connected on the same network on both machines.

When I open Finder on my Macbook Air it does show my Toshiba drive and when I click to try open the disc, it thinks for a while then comes up with error "The operation cannot be completed because the original item for "[disc name]" cannot be found."

Any help would be much appreciated !!

2. electro1 macrumors newbie

Have same problem. Spent over 3 hours with various Apple tech people. Apple sent program that copies what's going on in computer. That was 3 weeks ago. They were to get back to me. Never did. Just got the external drive. Let me know if you have better results.

B.

3. LevMac thread starter macrumors 6502

LevMac

Hey electro1, thanks for the reply back :)

Ok, ive found the problem and it was the Windows Firewall settings, switch it to off :) Thats what was causing the issue, hope this can be helpful to any other person who experiences this problem of accessing the drive from their PC Windows based machine...

4. LevMac thread starter macrumors 6502

LevMac

Would you believe im still having the problem, two nights ago I got it working by disabling my firewall on my PC laptop, and I ended up installing Office for Mac 08 without any problems, worked beautifully.

Today I tried to access the drive, and in the Finder on my MBA you could see the mount and the volume of the drive including the discs name, but it would not allow me to access the discs contents :(

Anyone else having a similar problem :confused:

5. southcounty949 macrumors member

southcounty949

Problem importing from audio CD

Hmmm, I get that same error when I tried to import a audio CD.

6. LevMac thread starter macrumors 6502

LevMac

Are you trying to access the cd/dvd drive from a windows machine as well? As I said it worked the other night after I had installed my software updates, and didnt touch anything, now it doesn't want to work..... :(

7. ctt1wbw macrumors 68000

ctt1wbw

If you go into Windows firewall, add the cd share utility that is installed for remote disc. Add that to the allowed list. You might have to reboot as I did the first time. After that it should work. Vista kinda sux, so sometimes I have to actually disable the whole firewall instead.

8. LevMac thread starter macrumors 6502

LevMac

Hey ctt1wbw, thanks for that I might have to try that. When I first got the remote disc working, I disabled the firewall and it actually did work, but now for some reason its not working and the firewall is still switched off and I do not have another firewall running, im running XP Pro SP2 by the way ....

Ive tried another Macbook Air at a store with another Toshiba Laptop running Vista, and it worked fine...

:confused:

9. ctt1wbw macrumors 68000

ctt1wbw

I'm not overly impressed with Vista. My new Dell sits lonely on the other table since I got the Macbook Air. I think it's crying over there. :)

10. LevMac thread starter macrumors 6502

LevMac

Im still trying to work out why its not working :( Any ideas guys ????

11. mrhoggy macrumors newbie

Maybe you need to change the batteries in the remote,... that might fix it EEERRRIIIKKK:D

12. wordy macrumors regular

wordy

I found that I got this same error message more when I had the "ask me before allowing others to use my DVD drive" UNCHECKED on the host machine. My host is a windows PC so I'm not sure about other macs. Anyhow, after CHECKING that, I no longer get an error.

Try it!

13. LevMac thread starter macrumors 6502

LevMac

I'll give that a shot Errriikkk, that mite do the trick, hows that Commodore of yours going in Toowoomba ? :D

Wordy, thanks dude ill try that also :)

14. kolbaba macrumors newbie

Success!

Hello, I am new to the MacRumors AND in general, the apple community alike.

I was using the remote disc functionality with my newly purchased mac air... When I started to have trouble getting access to the disc in my windows ( :( ) machine's dvd drive.

I had a similar error message, so I googled it.

Your thread solved my problem!! I disabled my windows firewall and it works perfectly now. I am installing my software with little to no issues now.

Thank you all!

15. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

[​IMG]