Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jackhenri

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
The title says it all! I have a 2011 macmini server, on which I have recently edited a video for a friend in FCPX. I need to author the vid to a DVD.

I also have a late 2008 macpro, which I networked to the mini (firewire800 & ethernet), hoping to use the macpro's built in optical super drive.

It doesn't work... I have tried everything I could find here, and elsewhere.

anyone got any ideas/tips/feedback??

many thanks,

jackhenri

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Did you try Sharing the DVD drive in Sharing in System Preferences? I did that to share the DVD drive in my iMac to my Mac Mini. I didn't try to burn to the DVD drive, but I used it the other way to load software on the Mac Mini.

dolphin842

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2004
From Final Cut, export to a QuickTime file in the highest quality that makes sense. Then, use the free Burn.app to make a DVD video disc. You can save the project as an .iso from the app's File menu, which you can then take to the Mac Pro to burn.

jackhenri

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
cheers

thanks for your replies,

in the end I just made an iso directly from the share>DVD menu in final cut.

It's a shame that the sharing networked dvd drives doesn't allow you to burn discs..

I bought an external samsung usb disc burner, that is supposed to be able to write DVD's but it doesn't manage even at the slowest writing speeds, I goes it's got to do with the data transfer rate over the USB...

thanks again,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.