Remote from PC to MacBook Pro using VNC

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Blazinpc, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Blazinpc macrumors newbie

I am attempting to use the remote management built into 10.7 lion. I can get my PC to connect to the macbook. However, when it connects the screen only shows the canvas like it does when you have a secondary screen hooked up to the macbook. I am not able to scroll over to see the actual main desktop of the mac.

I have used RealVNC, TightVNC and UltraVNC and they all do the same thing. Anyone have any ideas?

-Chad

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

What OS version are you using? Are you seriously saying you skipped the 10.7.1 and 10.7.2 updates? There were vnc issues that weren't fixed with 10.7.1 that seem to be better with 10.7.2 so that's why I'm asking.

There was a time screen sharing was closely compatible with VNC. With Lion, screen sharing is different and it broke all the third party iOS VNC apps for a while but many of them were fixed after only a few weeks. Still there was a bug dealing with multiple screen use that hung around until 10.7.2.

You might be able to find an intel compatible version of a 3rd party OS X VNC server such as "chicken of the vnc" and it will work better with those windows vnc apps. When I first got a G4 mini, I ran it headless and used it remotely from Windows. Now I've abolished Windows and have nothing but OS X and Linux boxes sitting around.