Remote install 10.6 (on Mac Pro 1.1) from 10.10 (on Macbook Pro 2010)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by discosoap, Dec 13, 2016.

1. discosoap macrumors regular

Hi guys,

I just got an old Mac Pro (1.1) which I intend to run as a server. Given that I don't have a screen for it I was considering a remote install. I would like it to initially run 10.6 on the Mac Pro.

I have a Macbook Pro running 10.10 and a Mac Mini (also no screen, this is my old server) running 10.6.8. They are all connected over an Airport Extreme via UTP cable (I would like to go this route as opposed to TD mode, as this would require me to first get some Firewire cables).

The OSX installer I have is an image file (DMG) and not a DVD installer.

Is it possible with this equipment to remotely install OSX 10.6 on the Mac Pro from one of my other Macs over LAN? And if so, could someone point me to a guide (can't find it somehow for the specific use case I have)?

I would be eternally grateful and would award you at least 3 Internets :)

Kind regards from Holland

2. louielui macrumors newbie

Running the latest OS on first generation MacPro's in one of the most popular threads on the forum. Basically, Apple no longer supports first gen macro's and the latest OS's will not run on them (Mavericks, Yosemite, and El Capitan). The following thread discribs the details, history, and how to get at least El Capitan working on first gen Mac Pro's. There is no way to run OS Sierra on first gen machines.

2006/2007 Mac Pro (1,1/2,1) and OS X El Capitan

Good luck

3. discosoap thread starter macrumors regular

Hi Louielui,

thanks for your answer, that is greatly appreciated. However, installing the latest OS on the Mac Pro 1.1 is not my main concern.

My issue is, that I don't have a screen and would still like to do a fresh install of OSX 10.6 on the Mac Pro. This is, as far as I know, possible through either Target Disk mode (which I would need a Firewire cable for, which I don't have) or via the internal LAN network I have at home. I would like to know how to do this via LAN.

I was considering installing the OS to the hard drive in an external enclosure which I would hook to my Macbook in order to do the install. The only issue would then be that I wouldn't be able to VNC into the Mac Pro once the hard drive on which the fresh OS would be installed is placed into the Mac Pro. If there would be an option to pre-install the OS with Screensharing/VNC activated that would do the trick as well (as it would allow me to access the Mac Pro after the install from another device, e.g. my Macbook or iPad).

I hope it is clear what I am asking, if not please feel free to comment. If anyone has ever done this, or has found some good resources on the internet, I would be grateful to hearing from you.

Kind regards