Remote Install Lion from a CD MacBook??

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by davidg4781, May 9, 2012.

1. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

So I'm supposed to help a friend upgrade her computer later today so she can run Lion. Her upgrade includes a new hard drive.

She has a C2D MacBook and I have a CD MacBook. Her Superdrive doesn't work. I was going to Remote Install Snow Leopard using my Superdrive but she's having problems finding her disc and we are too far from anywhere to buy a retail copy.

Would there be a way for me to remote install Lion from my CD? When I open Remote Install it asks for a disc.

We also have some external hard drives. Could we maybe install it on one of those and use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone it to her new hard drive?

Today would be the only day I can do this as I have to go back home tomorrow. :confused:

----------

When you install Lion, do you have the option of doing a clean install? We could maybe do that on her current hard drive then clone it to the new one.

I really want to do a clean install. Her Mac never seemed to run as smooth as mine, although I think she only has 512mb of RAM (it'll be maxed out after today).

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Lion never came on a disk. Did you burn one from the installer?

Also, you're going to run into trouble because Lion does not support the Core Duo's, so your machine likely will not want to run the Lion installer. I don't know why, assuming her machine has Snow Leopard, you wouldn't just be downloading Lion from the App Store to install that way. Perhaps some more detail would be helpful?

jW

3. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

Lion's not on a disc. Sorry, by my CD I meant Core Duo. I think I'll either pick up a USB drive or use one of the hard drives and install from that. Any issues doing that? The reason I'd rather do a clean install is because she's getting a brand new hard drive and her Mac has always been lacking the quickness my older Core Duo has (she has a C2D).

She did find the SL discs so we should be ok going from there.

4. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

Alright, so everything's done. Just wanted to post an updated for anyone that may need this info later on.

She has a C2D MacBook with a broken Superdrive. I have a CoreDuo MacBook.

We were replacing her HDD and upgrading to Lion. Remote Install would not find Snow Leopard in my MacBook so we put mine in Target Disk Mode and started her's holding the option key to install from the SL DVD. Took forever doing it this way.

Once this was finished we upgraded SL, bought and downloaded Lion, then used disc sharing via ethernet to install iLife and iWork. An external HDD was used to transfer files.