Remote Install not working on MBA Rev A

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by hyperguy01, Jan 26, 2009.

1. hyperguy01 macrumors newbie

Guys,

Been lurking around the forum getting some good ideas. I recently picked up a Macbook Air Rev A 1.8/SSD (couldn't resist at current refurb prices).

Anyway great machine but for one thing - I am trying to do a clean install but the remote install is not working for me via wifi or ethernet.

I have connected my old macbook to my MBA and I can see the dvd install disk. I successfully go through the whole process of restarting the MBA (holding the option button), the startup disks appear and I can connect to my home wireless network, I select the dvd install disk and click on the arrow button and my MBA restarts. However, it then does one of two things - restarts and goes to the desktop or there is a kernel panic attack.

Basically I don't get to the next stage where you select your language and go on to partition the drive.

Any help/ tips would be greatly appreciated. I am following the process to a tee and have disabled airport express password and firewall on the machines.

2. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

Mine kept kernel panicing when I tried to boot from a remote disc, in the end I gave up and used an external DVD drive via USB. Sorry to hear it's not working for you either :(

3. hyperguy01 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah its kinda disappointing. I called up Applecare and they said it could be the install disks are defective so they are shipping a new set over.

4. justit macrumors 6502a

you don't have to have an Apple Super drive, any USB drive that can get power from USB works, $40-50

5. andrewp macrumors member

I don't know if this will solve your problem, but I had the same problem, trying to reinstall it with windows xp...

It took me 1 hour to figure out the problem, cause it just kept on restarting and freezing every time I clicked on the MAC OSX installation...

The solution appeared to be in the firewall...I did turn it off but when I enabled Windows Firewall and told it to unblock the dvd-sharing app, it went smoothly

6. hyperguy01 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone - I'll just go get a usb drive and be done with this.