remote install questions

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by newmacguy1013, Aug 29, 2010.

1. newmacguy1013 macrumors newbie

so i have a mac book, i bought a few years ago, the dvd drive went out recently an i decided to do a clean install well i have to do a remote install and whenever i go to do it thru my ethernet all i get is an arrow while i hold down the option key, what do i do? im trying to do a remote install off of my windows laptop, im out of ideas, do i need to partition my hard drive? im so confused an only want my mac back, ive spent all weekend trying to figure this out searching forums an asking questions but have yet to get any sort of reply or guidance. any help would be greatly appericated, i already deleted the old os an all thats need is osx to be put back on, please tell me how to do this!!! THANKS!

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Do you have two Macs with Firewire ports?

If so, you can use Target Disk Mode and boot the older MacBook in Target Disk Mode and use the newer Mac for its Optical Disk Drive (ODD). Once the installer has started on the newer Mac, select the external HDD (if it is already properly deleted via Disk Utility) as target for the installation and off you go.

If that is not the case, can you be more precise what computers and software you have at your disposal to use Remote Disc for CD/DVD sharing?

3. newmacguy1013 thread starter macrumors newbie

yea i have a mac book pro also but no firewire, im trying to remote install it off of windows xp a newer version im not sure what one, im trying to load the new o s x onto the mac book i dont have a usb to usb either and whenever i put the disk (lepord) into the macbook it stalls at diffrent points everytime i try an install it so thats why im using the remote but that isnt seeming to work either

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Have you tried the second link I provided?

If you MacBook is an older, white/black model, it has Firewire. The MacBook Pro also has Firewire, you just need the appropriate cable, either Firewire 6-pin to 9-pin (MacBook to MacBook Pro) or Firewire 6-pin to 6-pin (MacBook to Aluminium MacBook Pro).

White MacBook (Firewire 400 - 6-pin port)
    [​IMG]

Aluminium MacBook Pro (Firewire 400 and Firewire 800 - 6-pin and 9-pin ports)
    [​IMG]

Unibody MacBook Pro (Firewire 800 - 9-pin port)
    [​IMG]

Firewire 6-pin to 9-pin cable
    [​IMG]

Firewire 6-pin to 6-pin cable
    [​IMG]

Those cables can be had for less than 10€/USD at any good sorted electronics store. www.monoprice.com is also a good online store for getting those cables.

5. newmacguy1013 thread starter macrumors newbie

6. newmacguy1013 thread starter macrumors newbie

so i have to use firewire? theres no way around this??

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The White MacBook then?

If Remote Disc does not work, then yes.

Btw, you can edit your posts via the [​IMG] button, or multi-quote posts via the [​IMG] button, as sequential posts are "against" the rules.

Minor Problems

6. Sequential posts.
    Combine your comments into one post rather than making many consecutive posts to a thread within a short period of time.

8. newmacguy1013 thread starter macrumors newbie

can you run me thru the remote install steps to be sure im doing them right??

9. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I just read the link I gave you again, and I think it is not possible to use Remote Disc for what you want, as the empty MB has no OS on it, thus it is not able to connect to a network.
    Target Disc Mode is the only option, besides an external CD/DVD drive. Maybe someone you know has one, it doesn't matter if they use it with a Windows or Linux PC, I once had an external CD/DVD writer connected to my Mac via USB.

10. rondon600 macrumors newbie

rondon600

Im having the same problem.
    Have an Intel iMac running 10.6.4 and a MacBook 10.4.11 (white/intel 1.83GHz) w/ broken optical drive. Airport with both connected via Ethernet.

I have enabled disk sharing and installed MSFT OFC just to confirm I can share CD/DVD. Now I try the steps for REMOTE INSTALL MAC OS X app and have not been successful.

Im able to see an icon marked Mac OS X Installl DVD/Mac OS X/ Version 10.6/Build 10A432 disk icon on the iMac in REMOTE INSTALL MAC OS X app. Im supposed to "select a disc" it at this point. I am questioning will it hi-light at this point? Mine will not hi-light. I go to continue and select the network connection. When I restart the MacBook and hold down option my only option is the internal (disk icon with a circle around an up arrow) disk. No option for remote via Airport/Ethernet etc.

11. rondon600 macrumors newbie

rondon600