Remote Install???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Pothedd, Jun 10, 2010.

1. Pothedd macrumors newbie

My girlfriend's MBP is a 2008 model, mine's a 2009 unibody.
    We need to reformat her hard drive. It's been a long time and the damn thing doesn't work right anymore.
    We can't find her OS X disc anywhere. I put mine in her computer. It tries to read it (?) and spits it out.
    I'm trying to remote install os x with my disc drive. I've enabled cd/dvd sharing and ran the remote install wizard, but no matter what her computer doesn't find any other drives to boot from.
    Even when I go to System Preferences>>Startup Disk>>Network Startup
    it just says "Boop" when I click restart.
    How am I supposed to fix her computer? I've been at it for hours and I'd much rather be playing video games...

I forgot to say that there's no airport menu when i hold down option on at startup. Just displays the HD...

2. flat4 macrumors member

Try target disk mode.

3. Pothedd thread starter macrumors newbie

Been there, done that.
    As stated before I have a unibody MBP meaning there is no firewire port.
    I tried it with an ethernet cable between the two laptops but it still doesn't work.
    Any better ideas?

4. patrixl macrumors regular

Get a Snow Leopard retail disk (30$?) it should support her Mac out of the box. I doubt the restore disk from your MBP will allow installation on her model.

If her DVD drive doesn't work, find a USB hard drive and repartition it with a GUID table, then use Disk Utility to "restore" the DVD of OS X 10.6 to the new partition, this'll make the hard drive bootable with the OS X install. Heck it's how I do it, got my restore hard drive with a OS X partition and Time Machine partition, way faster than using a DVD ;)

5. shadygrove macrumors regular

I always keep a bootable partition for this very reason. I however have always been lucky and had a Mac with firewire. I have always wondered how to do it without.