Remote iSight Application

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by camhabib, Aug 6, 2009.

1. camhabib macrumors regular

I'm looking for a program to install on my desktop which will allow me to view it's built in webcam over a local or internet connection. I would like to be as stealth as possible. Any suggestions are appreciated.

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

3. camhabib thread starter macrumors regular

Stealth as in it doesn't open up any windows or display a dock icon when running. I don't mind the green light or the processes that much.

4. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

Ooooh. Hide your Mac in a teddy bear! :p

5. mmulin macrumors 6502

I don't know any app for your specific need but you might look into this, I am using http://www.freeverse.com/periscope.

Has some nice configuration features as taking pictures on movement or sounds, mailing, FTPing those to remote server etc. It can't stream the video to an external client though. I use Remote Desktop for this but opening the windows shows up on the remote monitor as well. The Dock icon you can hide with the usual hacks for hiding Dock icons.

Other solutions could be using Quicktime as a streaming server to your computer or a website (a la webcam) and remote USB over IP (making the cam local to your computer).

6. chrisliv macrumors member

chrisliv

Yeah,

CamSpinner is an app for about $15 from Kagi that I have for simple snapshots and video clips, but it does all that spy stuff too, which you can apparently hide the pallet to conceal its operation to some degree.

Peace to you all,
    C. Livingstone

7. camhabib thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys. Neither of those were really what I was looking for. I was looking for something that can just access the webcam and stream it live to just one computer, not necessarily publish it. Both of those seemed more to do frames at a given frequency.