Remote Issue

rickeames

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 12, 2008
I'm having a hell of a time with my AppleTV 4K and it's remote. And I've tried multiple remotes. The scenario: I had the TV mounted and in doing so, it was placed behind the TV. The TV is located less than 15' from me. The bluetooth remote will only connect sporadically. It will jumps around, or ignores presses. I've tried TWO different remotes.

Can the TV interfere with the bluetooth signal? If so, then I have a real issue as I can't move the AppleTV.

cmaier

macrumors P6
Jul 25, 2007
California
I'm having a hell of a time with my AppleTV 4K and it's remote. And I've tried multiple remotes. The scenario: I had the TV mounted and in doing so, it was placed behind the TV. The TV is located less than 15' from me. The bluetooth remote will only connect sporadically. It will jumps around, or ignores presses. I've tried TWO different remotes.

Can the TV interfere with the bluetooth signal? If so, then I have a real issue as I can't move the AppleTV.
TVs can definitely interfere. In fact, the new TV i just bought had a warning in the manual about that. But it depends on the TV.

BODYBUILDERPAUL

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
Have you tried using the Remote App on your iPhone? Have a go and see how you get on with it. Sadly, failing that, you would be better off removing the ATV from the back of the TV. In Apple TV's defence, it is probably the nicest design AV box ever created and should quite rightly be on view :) Here in the UK, you should see how poorly designed the crappy SKY Q brexit boxes are - they are a 1990 design embarrassment and BluRay players look like CD players from 1988 so embrace the Apple TV design is my advice :) Jonny Ive would have a design break down if he knew that you where hiding his design behind a big plastic TV :)

rickeames

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 12, 2008
Have you tried using the Remote App on your iPhone? Have a go and see how you get on with it. Sadly, failing that, you would be better off removing the ATV from the back of the TV. In Apple TV's defence, it is probably the nicest design AV box ever created and should quite rightly be on view :) Here in the UK, you should see how poorly designed the crappy SKY Q brexit boxes are - they are a 1990 design embarrassment and BluRay players look like CD players from 1988 so embrace the Apple TV design is my advice :) Jonny Ive would have a design break down if he knew that you where hiding his design behind a big plastic TV :)

The iPhone remote works just fine -- it's the siri remote that is failing me. I can't remove the AppleTV and put it somewhere else as there is no cabinet now that the TV is mounted. All of the inputs route through the back.

I read other threads where people replaced their HDMI cable and it fixed the bluetooth problem. Makes very little sense to me.

cmaier

macrumors P6
Jul 25, 2007
California
The iPhone remote works just fine -- it's the siri remote that is failing me. I can't remove the AppleTV and put it somewhere else as there is no cabinet now that the TV is mounted. All of the inputs route through the back.

I read other threads where people replaced their HDMI cable and it fixed the bluetooth problem. Makes very little sense to me.
If your hdmi cable is not shielded then it’s at least possible that it is interfering with the Bluetooth. Not likely, but possible.

waw74

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2008
is it poissible to put it somewhere else behind the TV?

the aTV might currently be right by the TV's wifi or bluetooth antenna, which is causing interference.
moving the aTV to the other side of the TV might help. sometimes even a few inches can make a difference.

You could also try turning off wifi and/or bluetooth on the TV if possible and you don't need them.
depending on the capabilities of your TV, making sure it's using 5ghz wifi might also help. as bluetooth is in same 2.4 spectrum as wifi.