Remote iTunes storage options

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by PaulMoore, May 2, 2014.

1. PaulMoore macrumors regular

Hi there

I have an iTunes library (900GB) which was on an iMac (now dead) but which I want on a network storage device so as to access from a MacBook (with a hard drive too small for the library)

I just bought a 2TB Time Capsule but the drive continually dismounts (not just when the MacBook goes to sleep) so I get endless iTunes error messages/iTunes can't find the media when I go to play songs

My question: is this just in the nature of having iTunes on an external source and I have to live with it... or would something like the WD My Cloud (I don't know much about it but I've seen it can be an iTunes server) be a more reliable source...?

2. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

Maybe something is wrong with the wifi on your MacBook? I got a new 2TB Time Capsule last week as a server for my iTunes library (about 400gb) and it works great with my 2013 MacBook Air.

There was only one time when it dismounted in fact - last night I took the MBA out on the porch and got an error that it couldn't connect to the server. But the issues was clearly on the MBA because the old MBP I use to rip DVDs was still connected and it is even farther from the Time Capsule. Rebooting the MBA fixed the problem.

I have been really happy with this setup, with the AC wifi on my MBA, I'm getting about 30MB/s throughput. Only minor annoyance is that the Time Capsule disk spins down almost immediately after being accessed, causing a pause when you start iTunes or if you pause a video for a minute.

So I am using a little utility called "Keep Drive Spinning" that touches a file on the Time Capsule at regular intervals to keep it awake. That did the trick and I don't have any delays now. FWIW, I am only using the Time Capsule for iTunes and not backups (I have thunderbolt drives for time machine backups).

3. ColdCase macrumors 68030

Like Boyd says, drives dismounting on their own is unusual. I've had a TC drive mounted for months.... maybe years... without issue.

iTunes servers provided by third party appliances are not nearly as reliable as iTunes running on a mac. Many use something like a mini or older retired to host iTunes.

4. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

I am just running iTunes on my MBA but the library is on the Time Capsule. I considered using another computer to run iTunes, but that is a much more expensive option. I have a 2008 MBP, but it's still running 10.5 so I would have to update that and buy an external drive. And I would still need an Airport Extreme to get AC wifi. The old MBP already has one foot in the grave, so I don't want to sink any money or time into it.

I also considered getting a refurbed mini, but they are around $500 and I'd still need a big external drive and the Airport Extreme.

But the Time Capsule gives me AC wifi and a 2TB drive and only cost $278 at Best Buy. Can't beat that price and it does what I need. :)