Remote Lock.. Gone wrong.

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Lwis, Jul 2, 2011.

1. Lwis macrumors newbie

I was trying out the Find my Mac remote lock feature a few weeks back and it had no effect at the time, but I've just tried to update my MBP and Lion's giving me an 'Enter Passcode' screen. BUT IT'S 6 DIGITS, the remote lock only allowed me to enter 4?! And I can't do anything until I enter it, please help me MR gods :(

2. ryokun6 macrumors member

I tried the remote lock feature this morning, and it didn't turn well...
    I typed in my passcode, but it keeps telling me "Wrong Passcode"
    Then I tried to reinstall Lion, but I was LOCKED even after I repartition and format the disk!!!
    Now I have no idea what to do...

3. Lwis thread starter macrumors newbie

After a few hours I ended up fixing it by resetting the PRAM and NVRAM. Obviously not as 'locked' as we'd all like to think!

4. ryokun6 macrumors member

I did it too.
    Boot with SL DVD, cleared NVRAM in terminal with "nvram -c"
    Then reinstalled Lion and everything worked out.

5. CyBeRino macrumors 6502a

Hmm. That's an interesting point you make. I'll have to go try that, it would be very bad if such a lock could be circumvented with just a pram-reset. (Well, I have filevault set up as well so the lock is kind of pointless anyway, but still.)

6. tech19181, Jul 23, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2011

tech19181 macrumors newbie

tech19181

7. 42streetsdown macrumors 6502a

42streetsdown

gah i'm having a problem with this :( i can't reset my PRAM because I have a firmware password. Anyone know how to reset the PRAM with a firmware password? when i type the firmware password in it just brings me to the lock screen again. It won't let me boot to a lion disk either. i know i typed in the right passcode. i mean it was 1111. not hard to remember.

8. tech19181, Oct 9, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2012

tech19181 macrumors newbie

tech19181

Uh oh....

The only people that can do this is the people at the Genius Bar. There is some bug.

good luck!

9. 42streetsdown, Oct 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2013

42streetsdown macrumors 6502a

42streetsdown

So i was thinking i could remove the SSD and then maybe it'll let me boot to a Lion recovery USB where i could remove my firmware password. then maybe it'll let me reinstall Lion. Thoughts?

----------

Okay, it's good that iCloud will be released soon because i'm kinda freaking out right now.

10. tech19181 macrumors newbie

tech19181

You can try...

It has to do with a chip on the logic board, the Geniuses told me.

11. brownn macrumors newbie

Having the exact same issue, can't reset pram because I set a firmware password so I am now locked out from my MacBook because it won't accept the pin code I set.

Not impressed

12. 42streetsdown macrumors 6502a

42streetsdown

i feel like there should be someway to remove the firmware password without having to the boot into something. The PowerPC Macs could boot into Open Firmware. Why isn't there anything like for Intel based Macs? Is there anyway to access the EFI firmware directly?

13. stroked Suspended

stroked

I'm not sure if this works, but I have read that you can remove one stick of RAM, then reset the PRAM, to remove the firmware password.

14. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

This sounds like an "old wive's tale" but perhaps suddenly having less memory causes some section of non volatile memory to get overwritten thereby resetting the firmware password. I seriously doubt it though.

15. 42streetsdown macrumors 6502a

42streetsdown

I would do this, but I have a MacBook Air. the RAM is soldered onto the motherboard. :(

16. ptlage macrumors newbie

ptlage

I answered that on another post. I solved it by taking it to apple and they *can* remove the firmware password from a macbook air. What they do is to press a shortcut which gives them a hash, they send it to apple and get back a file, which they put on a thumb drive and use to remove the password. After that, all you have to do is enter in single user mode and type nvram -c.

17. neville78 macrumors newbie

Pincode

So I sold my macbook to my buddy and I have forgotten the Pin code now he is pissed and wants to know how to get his mbp turned on if i reset the PRAM and NVRAM will I be able to do a Fresh install?

18. Danny Boi macrumors newbie

Please help im pulling my hair out here!!!!?

I recently walked away from my Macbook why it was on and open and my trouble maker of a 4 yr old daughter got on it and started pushing buttons well she ended up in MAC OS X pin code window! Now it wont let me leave its frozen and wants this pin code and i have no idea what it is cause i am the second owner! ive tried to get ahold of the guy i bought it from, but no luck! This whole thing is driving me crazy can someone please tell me how i get out of this with out knowing the pincode?????? I would be very grateful!!!!

19. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Umm, no 4 year old could just "end up" in the pin code window. It's accessible only via logging into your iCloud account online, which should require entering your password twice (once at minimum), and then clicking on the lock screen.

Hate to say it, but since this is your first post here, chances are you stole the computer or bought a stolen computer, and the rightful owner locked it. If I'm wrong, then we still can't help you, as that can only be bypassed by Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider. It requires a one-time use disk that will be sent by Apple to the Service Provider in order to reset that passcode.

jW

20. HappyNoodleBoy macrumors newbie

Reset Firmware Password

This worked for me... I have a MBP all i did is removed the battery and removed one of the sticks of ram. Then put the battery back in and pushed Command+Option+P+R to remove the password.

21. billyjuicebox macrumors newbie

What year is your MacbookPro?

What year is your macbook pro?

22. ipxtorm macrumors newbie

Yeah I heard that starting late 2011 mbp, you cannot reset the firmware password as some others says to reset. You have to bring it on Apple to reset.

Anyway, is there any solution this situation? Like you didn't really remember the pin code you enter on FMM coz you're only playing with it for the first time?

23. ipxtorm macrumors newbie

I also want to ask on this lock screen mode, if how many times you are allowed to guess the pin code if you really forgot it? Like the Mbp will totally block and there's no way for us as a consumer to retrieve it? Is this a possible to happen if you keep on guessing the pin code? I know that on iPhone it will block and the only way is to sync to iTunes but this NO iPhone and no where to sync.

Because if there is no blocking that will happen if you keep on guessing for the right pin code, then you have 10,000 possibilities or chance to get it right. :rolleyes: :apple:

24. ipxtorm macrumors newbie

Anyone knows what will happen if you continue to guess the pin code when your mac has been remotely lock via Find my mac? Is it going to be totally block? if yes for how many times? Hope someone can answer. Thanks in advance.

25. fieraku03 macrumors newbie

hey Lwis, how did you fix you problem because I cannot even boot from a SL disk ???? the lock has me locked out completely even the terminal and disk utility... i cannot access anything... :((( help please!!