Remote Login help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by thedoobieman5, May 23, 2010.

1. thedoobieman5 macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,
    I know it's possible to ssh into another mac remotely, but I was unsuccessful when I tried to do so with my parents' computer.

The computer I was trying to log into had the "Remote Login" box checked and I was provided with the address I was supposed to connect to (ssh user@xxx.xxx.x.xxx). However, when I typed that into the terminal nothing seemed to be happening. My prompt would just jump to the next line and I would never be asked for a password.

Does anybody know what I'm missing here?

Sorry if this is a basic question, I'm pretty new at this and I couldn't find this issue addressed anywhere.

Thank you

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Are the 2 computers on the same network? If not, you'll need to connect to their router, and have the router set to forward port 22 to their machine.

3. thedoobieman5 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. No they are not on the same network. How does one go about configuring the router? Is it done on the computer or elsewhere?

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

You'll need to consult the router manual. Each brand is different. You generally access it from a web page though from one of the machines on the network.

5. thedoobieman5 thread starter macrumors newbie

6. jdechko macrumors 68040

You also need a way of actually reaching said network over the internet. I'm assuming that the remote computer is using a dynamic IP address from the ISP (as they are the norm). You'll either need to find that out every time (whatsmyip.org) or set up a dynamic dns client (either dyndns.com or no-ip.com) that will assign a domain name (yourname.dyndns.com) to your ip address.

I'm also going to self-link from another thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=9888598&postcount=14