Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crad159

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2011
Hi all. I just got a MacBook Pro and I am loving it! I still have my desktop that runs Windows 7 and I keep it on constantly for seeding torrents.
My question is, is there a way to remote log into my pc from the Mac?
I know I could partition my drive and install windows and buy parallels or vmfusion...But all that aside is there any other way?

unixperience

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2010
this is a software/internet service... BUT ITS GREATand free
I use it all the time (you can use it from ipads too i believe, for mac unix, windows, it doesn't care)

its called logmein https://secure.logmein.com/welcome/...57021&ef_id=lcFNuzEQRDsAAMtX:20110819063329:s

its free, free free no gimmicks, so you need to make an account (this is how you manage your computers) you then download the logmein application on your windows comp (or whatever comp you want to remotely control, i think the free version only gets 3 computers), then you can login with a web browser to your account and control your windows comp!!! you can do this from any web browser or computer or operating system.

hoep that helps

jscw

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2011
I use Remote Desktop Connection. It's from Microsoft and it's free.
PS: Your Windows 7 must be pro or above to accept remote connection.

Hi all. I just got a MacBook Pro and I am loving it! I still have my desktop that runs Windows 7 and I keep it on constantly for seeding torrents.
My question is, is there a way to remote log into my pc from the Mac?
I know I could partition my drive and install windows and buy parallels or vmfusion...But all that aside is there any other way?

unixperience

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2010
wow, amazing find! I didn't know they made that, i've only used it one windows hosts

Does this only work on the same network? or can you access it anywhere?

unixperience

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2010
yeah, it looks like it could be possible with some port forwarding and the routers internet ip address, I'd love to try but don't have access to two machines right now.. especially on two diff networks

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
yeah, it looks like it could be possible with some port forwarding and the routers internet ip address, I'd love to try but don't have access to two machines right now.. especially on two diff networks

It's possible. I did it a few years ago, from high school. You just gotta know all the right numbers, and have it set up correctly. It's not hard, just... a lot.

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
wow, amazing find! I didn't know they made that, i've only used it one windows hosts

Does this only work on the same network? or can you access it anywhere?
anywhere. I can log into my work computer (Vista Home Premium ...... I hacked it to 'correct' the fact that it won't remote as it should.)

----------

all you need is the IP and set the router to port forward 3389 to that machine's local IP (as determined by the router, probably something like 192.168.x.x)

If the isp IP fluctuates then set up http://www.no-ip.com/ on the computer you want to log in to.

Once that is set up you replace the static IP calling address with what you set up in no-ip.

If you get the concept it becomes easier than it sounds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.