Remote login with different resolution?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Travisimo, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Travisimo macrumors 6502a

I recently got an 11" Macbook Air. I also have a 27" iMac that is on 24/7. I have successfully enabled screen sharing, but the resolution is so high on my iMac that it's hard to see on my 11" when I'm screen sharing on it. I have read that you can do remote login with Lion where you log in as another user. But can you log in under a different screen resolution on the iMac while still leaving my main account running at full resolution?

Also, I'm running Parallels on my iMac with Windows 7. Is there a way to remotely login to the Windows 7 virtual machine that is running on my iMac with my Macbook Air?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I use TeamViewer, which works with Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, Ubuntu, iPhone, iPad, etc. It's very secure and quite simple to set up and use.... and it's free.

3. MJedi macrumors 6502a

MJedi

Have you tried turning on scaling?

With the Screen Sharing window active, go to View, Turn Scaling On. Unless it's already on.

4. Travisimo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Will it work through a Parallels machine though? I have Windows 7 running in a window and/or full screen on my iMac under Lion. If I want to remote control that virtual machine using my Macbook Air, would i just install Teamviewer on both machines?

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes. TeamViewer won't know if Windows is running on a native machine or through Parallels. It's irrelevant to TV.

6. Travisimo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, with scaling ON I can barely even see text, tabs, etc because it is shrinking down a 2560x1440 image down to 1366x768. With scaling OFF, I can only see a small fraction of my iMac's screen and I have to scroll around just to see anything. What I want to do is remote control my iMac at a lower resolution, but I didn't know if I could do that if I logged in as a different user while having my main iMac user account still on with full resolution?

7. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

If you want to control a Windows VM remotely, use Microsoft Remote Desktop. (Doesn't work with "Home" versions of Windows, though.)