Remote Managment - Log in as second user or independant of local user - possible?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cymro, Jul 2, 2012.

1. cymro macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I hope I can explain my question clearly! In school I remotely have to manage a some Macs - update software, update apps on iTunes etc. Is it possible to remotely log in to a mac and work without mirroring the main screen - but rather having an independent screen to the local screen? I sometimes have a short window of opportunity to gain access to a mac when pupils aren't using them - so if I could work without disturbing them - opening my own iTunes, running software update etc etc - that would be so easy. Any suggestions as to whether this is possible would be gratefully appreciated - and hopefully I have explained myself with some clarity!!!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Inside OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion: Screen Sharing adds drag and drop file transfers

3. cymro thread starter macrumors newbie

HI, Thanks very much - sound hopeful!
    I am running Mountain Lion here - but I suppose both the local and remote must be on Mountain Lion - as I have not seen that option on the toolbar of my screen sharing!
    Thanks for the info - I must not be the only one that wants this then!!! I am sure i have seen it on Windows!

Thanks again - no 3rd party solution in the meantime I suppose!?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Not for login as a 2nd user, that I'm aware of. Although it doesn't have that option, I use TeamViewer, which is free for personal use and works with Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, Ubuntu, iPhone, iPad, etc. It's very secure and quite simple to set up and use (no messing around with ports), which comes in handy if providing remote support to those who aren't very computer literate. You can talk them through the setup on their end and be connected to them in less than a minute. I prefer it over LogMeIn because it includes free file transfers between computers, a feature I use frequently.

5. cymro thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks - Yes Team Viewer is my choice app also. It is wonderful! I just wish I could use it while the pupils are working - I have to wait my turn or worst still work from home after hours while the school is closed!!!! Thanks - Ill keep looking!

6. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

I can do that to my iMac running Lion Server, so it's possible. Not sure if there's simply a setting that can be changed, though.

jW