Remote network access with base station for web cam

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Redsand187, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Redsand187 macrumors member

Forgive me if this has been done before, I am posting from my iPhone since the house I am at does not have Internet yet.

We are just finishing up construction on my brother's house and one of the final steps is setting up the network. He just got 2 mac minis and a airport extreme basestation, no problem there. What is beyond my expertise is his ip cam for his new babies room. The camera is a trendnet tvip312w. I've got it all set up and working, but the goal is for our parents, 1200 miles away to be able to log into it. The airport has given it the address behind the router, so my question is what do I need to do to be able to log in remotely to the network to log into the cam, or is there another way that I can view the cam remotely?

I would be greatly thankful for any advice.

2. munkees macrumors 65816

munkees

you will need a static ip address from the isp, then in the airport configuration, manual setup under Advanced, Port Mapping, will allow you to setup a service to the ip address of the camera, I recommend the camera also have it own static ip address from your network.

you will need to know the ports of the camera so the external can switch that and only that though the network.