Remote/network boot Snow Leopard install disk

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Dr. Gzus, Mar 5, 2011.

1. Dr. Gzus macrumors newbie

Hours of googling and no working solution for the following:

I need to perform disk utility repair **from the Snow Leopard install disk** on the hdd in my 2008 MBP (non-unibody), and it has a broken superdrive. I do NOT have an external optical drive and don't feel like buying one. Either the FireWire 800 port on my 27" iMac, the same port on the MBP, or the FW cable itself isn't working because target disk mode doesn't show up in either Finder, so target disk mode is NOT an option.

I'm trying in vain to use the Remote Install utility application (from both my iMac and a Windows XP machine), but I know this is built for the Airs and shouldn't work on my MBP. However after finding some terminal network drive sharing code, and finagling various network prefs, I have managed to see the Remote Install icon show up in the boot menu after holding option at startup. But this icon only blinks, and I cannot select it before it eventually disappears.

Is there any way to pull this off? Trying very hard to avoid spending any money (just bought a house and the pursestrings are a little tight).

2. Hydramus macrumors member

If your boot drive needs repairing, you can try booting into Single User Mode on your MacBook Pro. From there you can type "/sbin/fsck -y" without the quotes. This will repair the disk.

To boot into single user mode, hold cmd+s while booting up.

After that is complete, you can type reboot to reboot.