Remote power outage notification

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by AppleInLVX, Jun 6, 2012.

1. AppleInLVX macrumors 6502a

AppleInLVX

Hey all,

No idea if this is the right place, but I was curious if anyone knew anything about a way to get a notification sent to my iPhone if the power goes out at my house. The idea is that if there's a massive storm, and the power goes out, the sump pump will fail and my basement will flood. I figured I could mitigate this if I got a tweet or email if the power fails.

Near as I can tell, I'd need a UPS on the modem/router, and some sort of way to sense the outage and send a notification.

Does anyone know of anything that'll do that? I suppose there's probably monitoring services that'll charge me a monthly fee to do it, but I was hoping for a DIY sort of thing.

I also thought maybe the new Nest thermostat could be MacGyvered to do it, but I haven't read of anyone who has succeeded.

Thanks for your thoughts!

2. flyboypat152 macrumors newbie

I am looking for the same thing

I figured there would be an app for telling if your home power was out by now, but I can't find anything on the app store.

3. jcpb macrumors 6502a

Not without custom scripts and hacks, besides the obvious being to place a UPS between the sump pump and the electrical outlet.

4. greginbaltimore macrumors newbie

did you ever find a good solution for this

So did you find a solution? I'm looking for the same thing.

5. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

6. adam9c1 macrumors 65816

adam9c1