Remote power up?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Ploki, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Ploki macrumors 68040

I just figured it seems like a horrible oversight to not have remote power for a machine such as this. Is there any way to do this (aside setting up a schedule?)

2. leo-tech, Jan 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2019

leo-tech macrumors regular

leo-tech

Wake-on-LAN comes to mind ... but, failing that, I guess it shouldn't be too difficult to create a simple remotely controlled device, capable of briefly pushing and releasing (exactly as human finger does) Power On button on Mac Mini, and physically attached to MM to do just that.

Also you may need to enable Automatic login (under System Preferences - Login Options - Automatic login), so your computer can boot completely without the local user present (optional, may present a security risk).

Some ideas for parts of such a device:

[​IMG]
    ezOutlet2 - Internet Enabled IP Remote Power Switch with Reboot
    (AC Power/Single Outlet/iOS/Android/Cloud/Web Controllable)
    https://3gstore.com/product/4186_single_outlet_remote_power_switch.html
    https://www.amazon.com/ezOutlet2-Internet-Enabled-Android-Controllable/dp/B0792S1DGZ

[​IMG]
    Adafruit Mini Push-Pull Solenoid 5V
    https://www.amazon.com/Adafruit-Mini-Push-Pull-Solenoid-ADA2776/dp/B0722JK1L1

3. Ploki thread starter macrumors 68040

haha ;D physical remote. that just looks too cool

4. leo-tech macrumors regular

leo-tech

Well, but surely it can replace your physical self, pushing your Mac Mini Power On button, when the need arises? :)

5. Ploki thread starter macrumors 68040

I now want it even if i'm gonna sit next to mini :D

6. wardie macrumors regular

Get an IoT-enabled power socket (e.g. Zigbee, Z-wave) and cheap hub to control it however you want?

7. Ploki thread starter macrumors 68040

I'm really not happy with killing the power off with disks and everything connected

8. wardie macrumors regular

Ah I thought you were interested in power up not down! Maybe another idea is a ups that you could remotely control - they link via USB to the mac and can tell it to shut down etc

9. Ploki thread starter macrumors 68040

I mean, it wont power up automatically if it's just connected to an outlet that turns on and off :)
    only way to achieve that is to select "power up after power failure"

10. wardie macrumors regular

um yes I see your point... sounds like only way is LAN wake up? Now I get the physical button thing below. Sounds unreliable. Are there any ways to Hotwire the power buttons and then use something like a IoT relay?

11. leo-tech, Jan 11, 2019

leo-tech

Another theoretically possible solution: a small remotely accessible robot, which can be trained to approach MM and push Power On button on request (for convenience it can also be equipped with video camera).

BTW, the intuition tells me that there must be some micro relay in MM2018 somewhere inside, connected to its Power On button, and it can be triggered from the outside (by properly placed external magnet, or by some signal on USB etc), causing the same power on effect, but it remains to be seen whether or not it is the case.

12. wardie macrumors regular

Here you go.. just ask Walker.
    https://www.tomshardware.com/news/ubtech-walker-hands-on,38389.html

13. leo-tech, Jan 11, 2019

leo-tech

What would be the best way to measure the actual force, required to push MM Power On button all the way in? (I think the micro solenoid solution can actually work, there is a simple way to make its action reasonably reliable).