Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bagleyb

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 14, 2005
I had a video project I was working on, and was going to VNC into my Mac from work so I could render the DVD while out.

I connected to it, but then VNC crapped out. It's not responding anymore, but I can still SSH to it. Everything is saved, so I'd like to reboot it remotely.

When I SSH to it, I login as my admin (only actually) account. I execute 'shutdown -r now' but it gives me a message that I'm not a super-user. I then executed 'su' and supply my password, and it replies with su: Sorry.

Is there another way to reboot it remotely, or restart the VNC service?

jhu

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2004
interesting. is the root account enabled? if not, that would explain why su isn't working. you should try 'sudo shutdown -r now' and see if that works. however, i've had the mac os gui not be able to load afterwards after executing this command (although i could still ssh into the machine). there's an applescript that reboots the computer correctly, but it's eluding me at the moment.

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
I don't have access to a X machine but will "init 6" work? I don't know if that would work as I have never tried it on X but thats how I restart my fedora box from home.

bagleyb

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 14, 2005
Unfortunately, I'm a Mac newbie, and I'm not quite sure where either of those files are located. I'm executing them from the bash I get when I ssh in.

The init command only returns a file not found error. The sudo command gives me a message about a lecture from a Sys Admin, and then the 3 things they should have told me. It then prompts me for a password, then gives me a command not found.

It's not that big of a deal, I'll just start it tonight before I go to bed.

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
Unfortunately, I'm a Mac newbie, and I'm not quite sure where either of those files are located. I'm executing them from the bash I get when I ssh in.

The init command only returns a file not found error. The sudo command gives me a message about a lecture from a Sys Admin, and then the 3 things they should have told me. It then prompts me for a password, then gives me a command not found.

Yeah I guess init 6 does not work in mac OS X it was just a guess. But yeah you would type it in terminal if it did work. :D

jhu

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2004

sounds like your account isn't an administrator account. is this your computer or a work computer?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.