Remote Restart/Shutdown via Networked Power Switch

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by m021478, Dec 29, 2010.

1. m021478 macrumors 6502

I am about to embark on a 4 month trip away from home and I am heavily relying on being able to remotely access my machine while I am away. I made the same 4 month trip last year, during which my computer froze up with a kernel panic on 2 separate occasions. To get back online last year, I had to ask a friend to stop by my place and force-shutdown and restart my machine.

I am in search of a device that I can sit in between the main power cable of my Mac Pro and the wall outlet, which is a remotely accessible networked-connected power switch that I will be able to use in the event of a system lockup to remotely restart my machine.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

2. cuestakid macrumors 68000

This may be a bit naive, but what about a PoE switch?

3. peetah macrumors member

Yes you can... but out of band power strips are not cheap.

A link to one: http://www.cpscom.com/gprod/cps.htm

There is also a UPS by APC that has an out of band port that you hook up to a modem. However, that is out in orbit in terms of price.

Good luck!

4. m021478 thread starter macrumors 6502

Stumbled across this device that looks like it might do what I'm looking for. Anyone have any thoughts about this thing? Can someone confirm that this device will allow me to remotely reboot my computer over the internet from outside my home network... I believe it will, but before I drop $199 on this thing, I'd love some feedback and perhaps some confirmation if possible. Thanks!

5. occamsrazor macrumors 6502

occamsrazor