Remote scanner sharing.....

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by skinnylegs, Oct 6, 2008.

1. skinnylegs macrumors 65816

skinnylegs

I don't know if I'm using the right terminology but here's what I'd like to accomplish.

I moved my desk out of my bedroom and into a separate room I'm now using as an office. I left the printer/fax/scanner in the bedroom closet because that's where I want it. I enabled remote printing and I am able to print from my desktop to the printer in the closet. Everything there is working peachy keen. However, is it possible to be able to remote scan? In other words, can I load something in the scanner and have it show up as a PDF or whatever on my desktop? This feature doesn't seem to work unless the printer/fax/scanner is *directly* plugged into my desktop.

Thanks!

2. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

From what I understand (unless the tech has changed in the past 10mths) the answer would be, not unless your AIO (all in one) supports remote scanning.

There are some that do but most do not support this feature.

You might google to see if there's a 3rd party application that can accomplish this but even that outlook is kinda bleek.

How it was explained to me, you can print and fax remotely (by attaching the AIO as a fax machine/phone) but not scan, which doesn't make much sense if you can fax remotely you should be able to scan.

3. skinnylegs thread starter macrumors 65816

skinnylegs

That's what I was afraid of. Looks like I'll be hitting up Radio Shack for a 30 ft. firewire cable. :-(

Thanks for the prompt response!