Remote ShutDown/Restart??

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
Folks, I'm wondering...

Is there any such thing as a tool or utility that allow a logged in networked admin user to restart/sleep or shut down a server from another terminal or workstation??

It'll be kinda useful at times.. I ain't so much bothered about starting a remote system.

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Can you not do this with basic screen sharing if the remote system has the remote administration option in sharing preferences enabled?

Also, while it's probably not what you are looking for as it's expensive and designed for administering computer labs and such, but Apple's Remote Desktop product will do this and much more.

matperk

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2004
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Well.. since I don't know how, you might like to supply instructions/commands. You can even PM me, you you'd prefer.

If you setup your machine to allow for "Remote login" in the sharing preferences you can connect to that IP address in terminal using the command: ssh [username]@[ip address]

enter your username, then it might ask you to add an entry for security (say yes) then enter your password.

Then you can run: sudo shutdown -r now ----- to restart
or sudo shutdown -h now ------ to shutdown

Transporteur

macrumors 68030
Nov 30, 2008
UK
Wow! Cool!! Perfect!

Doesn't say does it work with SL.. lol
The latest version (3.3) definitely works with SL. No problems at all.

Great tool for managing several machines, but not worth the price for sleeping/restarting a single machine.

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
If you setup your machine to allow for "Remote login" in the sharing preferences you can connect to that IP address in terminal using the command: ssh [username]@[ip address]

enter your username, then it might ask you to add an entry for security (say yes) then enter your password.

Then you can run: sudo shutdown -r now ----- to restart
or sudo shutdown -h now ------ to shutdown

thanks dude :):):)