Remote stops working - needs reboot

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jmargolis, Jan 24, 2010.

1. jmargolis macrumors member

I am learning Spanish with mp3s I listen to on iTunes. And this requires hitting pause frequently to "think" before answering. When I do this with the apple remote it works fine for awhile. But after 15 minutes or so (or after hitting pause and play maybe 20 times), the remote stops working and I need to use the mouse or keyboard instead. Restarting iTunes doesn't help, but rebooting my Mac does.

Question: Is there a way to "restart" just the remote sensor?
    Question: Anyone else ever get this? Any recommendations?

I have 27in iMac i5.

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

sometimes as batteries get old, they'll work for a while, then run down, but after they sit, they'll build up enough charge to work for a while again.

When the remote stops working, aim the remote into any camera (cell phone or isight on the mac will work) and see if you see a blue-ish white light coming out of the remote. You'll have to have the remote and camera pointed directly at each other.

3. jmargolis thread starter macrumors member

Yes I see the blue-ish white light. Also, the remote works fine with my Apple TV. So I think the remote is good. For some reason iTunes stops responding to the remote after awhile (and then it's fine again after reboot).

4. tonyburkhart macrumors regular

tonyburkhart

Is your remote paired with the iMac?

Have you paired it with your iMac?

Sounds like it is default to control all devices and times-out.

Check out this pairing article : http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1619

---

Also, I don't know your exact setup... but could you just listen to the mp3's on the Apple TV, since it works all the time?

5. jmargolis thread starter macrumors member

I figured out how to fix it. In System Preferences -> Security -> Disable remote control infrared receiver. By disabling it and the re-enabling it, it works again. This also enabled me to pair the remote.

6. waw74 macrumors 68030

pairing does nothing to the remote.
    there are 256 different remote IDs. if you have a remote with an id of 67, it will send "play-67."
    All pairing does is tell the mac to only listen to 67.