Remote Tiger install from MacBook Pro onto eMac, using Target Disc mode

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by kernkraft, Aug 20, 2010.

1. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

I am trying to install Tiger remotely onto an eMac, as the optical drive on it is not responsive. I got as far as being able ti copy files (I booted the eMac while holding down T) but when I start the install disc in the MacBook Pro, I get the message that it cannot be installed on this computer. Well, I don't want to, I want to install it on the eMac. What am I doing wrong? Is it possible to do the remote install in Target disc mode despite the PPC/Intel issue and the problem of which version of an OS can be run on a Mac? I also tried to mount the install disc on the MBP, but I had no luck so far.

Thanks in advance?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Have you tried running the MBP in Target Disk Mode and inserting the eMac Restore / Retail DVD into the MBP after that and using the MBP's SuperDrive that way?

Once I started my iBook or iMac in Target Disk Mode while it still had a bootable CD or DVD inside and the iMac or iBook, booted into Mac OS X, could see that CD or DVD.

3. kernkraft thread starter macrumors 68020

kernkraft

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried all sorts of things, with no luck. I even thought that either the disc is faulty or it's not for PPCs.

Still... I might be doing something wrong, otherwise the MBP wouldn't want to install it on itself. The disc is actually from a university and even though it's not the grey restore disc or the black retail disc, I believe it to be genuine.

4. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

yes you do something wrong if you install in target disc mode you have to reboot your MBP in target disc mode NOT the eMac as you only want to use the MBP's DVD drive to install , so the eMac thinks the MBP's dvd drive its a external dvd drive connected to it

if you do it the other way round the MBP thinks you have no harddrive inside your MBP and want to install tiger on a external harddrive (its in the eMac but the MBP does not know that) and you cant install tiger on a MBP that did not ship with it

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2402?viewlocale=en_US

5. kernkraft thread starter macrumors 68020

kernkraft

I give this another try. It turned out, that my install disc had a little damage that was just enough to mess up the whole remote install.

Again:

- I want Leopard on an eMac.
    - I have a unibody MBP (this time with a Leopard install disc image on it.)
    - I have the Firewire cable that's required (FW400-FW800).
    - I want to use Target Disc Mode.

HOW?

6. kernkraft thread starter macrumors 68020

kernkraft

Technically, I should also request a new install disc or buy another one. I just don't have the time and I don't want to spend more money on an old computer that is only used for a few functions. I have another eMac and that has 1GB RAM with an Airport Extreme card this other one is really just a play thing.

Actually, I just realised that with 768MB RAM, I might have some issues with Leopard. Bugger!

7. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

When you launch installer on MBP it recognized MBP CPU and logic board, so it "told" you "cannot install on this computer" and this is correct. Your eMac via terget disk mode is seen only as HDD, installer recognizes hardware on which you launch it (MBP in this case).
    To do it right, listen to Giuly's advice or use PPC based Mac as "host" computer.

8. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

If you happen to have a FW400-FW400 cable, use the second eMac to install from Target Disk Mode.

768MB is OK, 1GB is better, 2GB is what you should use.

9. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

Or try with MBP in reverse way: boot MBP with Install DVD in it as target. Your Install disc should appear on eMacs desktop. Set it as boot drive.

10. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

+1 that is the right way to do it

11. kernkraft thread starter macrumors 68020

kernkraft

When I'm tired, I am the most useless man on this planet!

So one of my MacBook Pros were connected to an eMac. I saw the option "Erase" and I went for it. I know that I am a massive idiot, but it just felt good. As soon as I realised that I made a big mistake, I started playing with the other eMac. I went through some options and I don't know how, but now I have two unresponsive eMacs. The second one actually had a working optical drive but at one point, it started showing the padlock. Well, I'm sorry but I don't remember my girlfriend's birthday. How should I remember the master password on a computer that I haven't used for several years?

So my question is: how do I recover two half-dead eMacs with an Intel MacBook Pro?

Attached Files:

12. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Reset firmware password:
    Hold ⌘+⌥+P+R on the keyboard and power on the eMac. Keep holding until you hear the third chime.

13. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

Change amount of RAM first (add or remove one stick). Without it, you won't be able to do PRAM reset even once. Next do what Giuly said.