Remote Time Machine Backups?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Let's Sekuhara!, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Let's Sekuhara! macrumors 6502

Let's Sekuhara!

I have always wondered if doing remote backups is possible using OS X's Time Machine software and one's own server - say a Mac mini in an off-site location.

I found this link, which gives some helpful clues but not the whole answer.
    http://code.stephenmorley.org/articles/time-machine-on-a-network-drive/
    It describes the process on a network drive, but I believe the setup will be different for a local network vs a server that needs to be connected to via the internet.

The idea is to be able to back up at least 1TB of data - only the items that have been added/modified - to protect against losing years of work in the event of a fire, burglary, etc.

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

You can use Crashplan to do this for free to a friend's machine or another machine you control across town. Or you can pay a subscription to use Crashplan's servers.

3. Let's Sekuhara! thread starter macrumors 6502

Let's Sekuhara!

Thank you! I looked at their site and the product has some great features. Very reasonable pricing too. Now just gotta get a Mac mini - or convince a friend to barter and each be a backup for the other.

4. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

My wife's mini is in a wifi dead spot in our house. For this reason, her Time Machine backup was corrupted. When her hard drive got inadvertently wiped during migration to Lion, I had to restore her files from Crashplan because her Time Machine backup was no good. Crashplan is much more tolerant of a mediocre connection than Time Machine.

I found the family version of Crashplan to be a good value. I don't have friends willing for me to use hundreds of gigabytes of their storage or their internet bandwidth just to back up my stuff.