Remote USB

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by SMM, Jun 26, 2009.

1. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

I suspect this does not belong in this forum, but I do not see anything better.

I am trying to connect two USB hubs on two sides of my office. One connection is to a mac pro and the other is to a USB printer. I have additional requirements, which would be best served by first commenting to a 7 Port USB hub. Can this be done? The total run distance is ~30'.

Thanks for the help.

2. tri3limited macrumors 6502

Wrong place but...

From what you're saying you want to connect two devices, over a long distance using usb, right?

This is what you're after but it's worth browsing for cheaper alternatives as this is purely an example. Link.

Basically go buy some Cat5e cable, cut it to length, and then crimp the ends to RJ45. It's now a long ethernet cable! Now simply get some RJ45 to USB extensions like shown in the link.

Personally I'd be tempted to get USB wall-plates and wire it into the wall space but if you're after a cheap easy solution Cat5e with USB extenders (as previously described) is the way to go. You can do it all for about £35.

**Be sure to check your USB extensions are USB 2.0 compatible not just 1.1 as I've had issues with this in the past**

3. SMM thread starter macrumors 65816

SMM

I am not explaining this well (not to be surprised). I will try again.

I have one computer, connecting 6-7 peripherals ~30' away. The wires cross the center of my office. I ran a single connection on the computer, to a USB hub where the peripherals are. I connected the peripherals to the hub. It does not work. To troubleshoot, I made a direct connection (computer to peripheral). That DOES work. If the remote hub SHOULD work, that will go a long way helping me troubleshoot this.

Thanks

4. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Your problem is likely the cable length...

USB 1.1 maximum length is 3 meters (9.8 feet), whereas USB 2.0's maximum is 5 meters (16 feet). USB cables will not reliably pass signals beyond those lengths.

This is why tri3limited suggested using CAT5 USB extenders. CAT5 cable can carry signals at much longer lengths.