Remote wipe/find my iphone alternatives

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RuggedPro, Sep 21, 2010.

1. RuggedPro macrumors regular

The only 2 options of mobileme I'm interested in are the remote wipe/lock down and the find my iphone features.

I see a family tracker app that in theory would cover the find my iphone base but what about the remote lock/wipe feature? Any app store alternatives?

Thanks.

2. The General macrumors 601

The only alternative that would let you remote wipe (NOT remote lock as far as I know) would be to run your own Exchange server, which would more more trouble than it's worth.

My suggestion is to go on eBay and buy a family plan activation code. They can be had for about $60 and are legit. I buy them every year to renew my family plan.

3. RuggedPro thread starter macrumors regular

I've seen that. Might be my only choice. Kinda interesting with a bagillion apps, no one has done it.

4. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

Assuming we're talking about non-jailbroken iPhones...

First, all apps on the App Store work passively, meaning that the application has to be manually launched in order for it to send a location, or at least once since startup so that it's running in the background. If someone kills the task, the application will no longer track.

Alternatively, you can sign up for the AT&T FamilyMap for $10 per month for two users, or $15 per month for five users, and you can track any AT&T number, regardless if it's an iPhone or a dumbphone, and it even has scheduling and text messaging. It's available through their FamilyMap website, and they even have an iPhone app.

As for remote wipe, it's only available for Exchange users and MobileMe users.

That being said, you can get a hosted Exchange account for about $8 per month per user (I recommend SherWeb, as I've set up companies with them for over a year now and they work great with iPhones and Blackberries), but MobileMe can be cheaper, especially if you get the Family Pack, and it includes Find My iPhone.

Hope that helps.