Remotely access files on iPad via PC??

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by swizard, Oct 30, 2011.

1. swizard macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I tried searching and am unable to find answer to my question.

I want to remotely access files (the root files, etc.) on my iPhone and iPad remotely via my PC. Both devices are jailbroken. I have iFile and Air Sharing on both devices but they just allow access to the device on the local network (i.e. 192.168.0.101:10000, etc.). I want to be able to access the files on my iOS devices, which may be at home say when I am at work for example.

Is there any app that can create a sort of "file server" that could be set the project via whichever internet it is connected. Even dynamic IPs are fine.

Hopefully you guys can help me out. Thank you!

2. danielowenuk macrumors 6502

3. swizard thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey thanks for the quick reply! I looked at that link you posted and I had a a question.

Based on the link your posted, it still creates an FTP server with a local IP (192.168.1.101, etc.). So how do I expand that to get a real IP address that I can access from anywhere (not just from my network that the phone is connected to)?

Maybe this is what you meant by port forwarding etc, but I'm sorry I don't know much about that, and would appreciate it if you could break down the process for me please.

Thank you!

4. danielowenuk macrumors 6502

First thing;

If you have a static ip on your Internet connection then great, but not many people don't. So the address you want to access can change. Most people (myself included use a dynamic dns for this, dyndns is as good as any and free, google it).

You can often login to dyndns on your router.

Basically it means you get a me.dyndns.net style address for your external ip and it will move the me.dyndns.net address even if it changes.

Secondly;

Forward the port on your router to your idevice. In the link it uses port 10000. www.portforward.com explains the process easily.

Then you can access me.dyndns.net:10000 and your router will forward the request to your idevice

5. swizard thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you! I will definitely try this out and post back with my results!