Remotely Access Mac w/ VNC?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by HappyDude20, Sep 28, 2008.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

When I'm out and about I'd like to be able to connect to my Macbook. I'm able to do this already when I'm at home using Mocha Lite VNC app for the iPod Touch.

I enjoy it since I can open any app without being near my Macbook. This works well with taking a photo in PhotoBooth and even navigating to Hulu.com when the Mac is connected to the TV.

But i'd be 10000x's more content if I could do the same thing but while not at home and say at my College under the college's wifi network; or any wifi for that matter.

Is this possible? Is there anything I need to change up in order to get this to work? Or should it already?

I was out with friends at a restaurant last night and I managed to find a WiFi signal and opened that Mocha Lite App and attempted to connect but it took forever to try to connect. In the end I figured it didn't work since my Mac must've been in Sleep mode. Anyway I can wake it up remotely? :rolleyes:

2. wesg macrumors regular

wesg

By setting up the hoops properly, this type of thing is possible. THe basic steps are to open the correct ports in the firewall of your computer and network interface (router, etc.) as well as forward the ports to your computer from said router. With this it is entirely possible to be able to remotely access the command line and do whatever you wish from there.

Macworld wrote a good article about this earlier (Rob Griffiths is the man!). Have a look and you'll likely find what you're looking for.

3. mathcolo macrumors 6502a

Assuming your network is behind Network Address Translation (NAT) you'll need to forward port 5900 to use VNC outside of your local network.

Regarding waking from sleep, try WakeOnLan.