Remotely accessing files

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by MadDoc, Jun 26, 2012.

1. MadDoc macrumors 6502

MadDoc

I have a headless Mac Mini running Lion with the server app installed. I know very little about the technical aspects of running a server.

What I would like to do is access the files on the Mac Mini (which is powered on all the time in my house and directly wired to my router which has a static IP address).

What's the best way to do this? Filesharing is enabled on the Mac Mini, so I can get files of the Mini from my MacBook when I'm on the same network at home but I don't know the best approach to do this whilst on the road.

I manage the Mini with Apple's Remote Desktop application (again, only whilst at home) - is this possible to do remotely as well?

Thanks in advance,

MadDoc

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

For remote access, I use TeamViewer, which is free for personal use and works with Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, Ubuntu, iPhone, iPad, etc. It's very secure and quite simple to set up and use (no messing around with ports), which comes in handy if providing remote support to those who aren't very computer literate. You can talk them through the setup on their end and be connected to them in less than a minute. I prefer it over LogMeIn because it includes free file transfers between computers, a feature I use frequently.

3. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

I've also got a headless mini server running and have used the VPN server built into OS X server to provide remote access to my network for file access. The only drawback is that Bonjour services don't broadcast over VPN. But using direct IP access you can still do file and screen sharing.

4. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

I use dropbox for files that I want to access while on the road. If you loose power at home while on the road, you can still get to your files.

5. robgendreau macrumors 68040

You should set up file sharing on your server; that's what it's for.

Odds are you just flip a switch, and then set up who can access what. Depending on what kind of network you have you'll have to open a port for FTP so that users can access the machine behind your firewall (usually 21). It's usually just typing ftp://your.static.ip. Or you could use a good FTP client; it makes it really easy.

Sharing via SFTP over SSH is probably more secure. Your server software probably has a way to configure that as well.

The same thing goes for screen sharing; it's built right in.

I suspect that since you have local access it's just a matter or setting up your router to forward the sharing requests to the mini. Usually a matter of just opening standard ports and pointing them at the mini. Then you just type either the ftp://xx.x.x.xxx or vnc://xxx.x.x..x.x.x type address and you're there. If you're using an Airport Express then the new Utility 6.0 has canned settings for ADP, FTP, VNC etc etc. You probably just have to choose them and save.