Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shashwat

macrumors member
Original poster
May 2, 2010
Hi
I am waiting for my new ipad 3g to arrive..meanwhile i was looking for an app on the ipad whereby i could take control of my home theatre personal computer (htpc) remotely...i came across logmein...
Can anybdy whose using it gimme a feedback on whether its working fine..also i read on its itunes page about some annual subscription..what if i do not subscribe to it...is it still usable?
Also can i remotely log in via a 3g network and is there any requirement of conputer usage during the time m seeking to access it remotely and any speed criteria at my end-ie; at the end of the ipad...!!
Any alternates to logmein?

Thanx for reading...

Shashwat

wombat888

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2008
LogMeIn will let you do that. But - do you want to use the iPad as a remote control on your sofa? If so, there may be better choices.

LogMeIn literally shows your PC or Mac screen on the iPad's screen, and lets you control the mouse and keyboard remotely. You can launch applications, delete and rename files, etc. But the interface is, of necessity, a bit clunky. Touch doesn't work in standard ways.

It's great for what it is, but if the goal is to control iTunes, I think there'd be cheaper and better ways.

The annual subscription fee is optional. It gives some additional features, such as file sharing and sound.

shashwat

macrumors member
Original poster
May 2, 2010
LogMeIn will let you do that. But - do you want to use the iPad as a remote control on your sofa? If so, there may be better choices.

LogMeIn literally shows your PC or Mac screen on the iPad's screen, and lets you control the mouse and keyboard remotely. You can launch applications, delete and rename files, etc. But the interface is, of necessity, a bit clunky. Touch doesn't work in standard ways.

It's great for what it is, but if the goal is to control iTunes, I think there'd be cheaper and better ways.

The annual subscription fee is optional. It gives some additional features, such as file sharing and sound.

thnx for replying...
i am lot looking to control it from my sofa...have air mouse pro ,remote apps for that and also have a logitech dinovo mini to control the htpc....
i want to connect to it remotely....
when m mostly outside house....
just wanted to know whether its set up is easy or difficult cz i really am not a technical person....an easy set up for me really helps and also the does it work decently on 3g networks with a speed of around 1mbps?
if these 2 things are satisfied,i would love to use this as soon as my ipad arrives.....
plz reply..

dstar

macrumors regular
May 3, 2010
You may want to take a look at Jump. I haven't used it outside of my own network yet but it does have an additional software component for it.

wombat888

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2008
It is easy to set up, it works outside of your house, and it works decently on 3g. The iPad's Internet speed only affects how quickly the screen draws in.

You can technically do anything via LogMeIn that you can do while sitting at your computer, but some things (scrolling, fine mouse control) are harder due to the intrinsics of the UI, and some things (like watching video) aren't a good experience due to choppiness and lack of sound if you didn't pay for the annual subscription.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.